English A2 HL P1

Cynthia

At the time of posting there was no topic for this exam, so how did everyone find it?

I personally did section B, I was actually surprisingly inspired by both texts considering that's sometimes a problem with A2 paper 1... I found it pretty normal, I expect I did fairly well although it's so hard to say with languages.

I actually had 30 minutes to spare since I'm used to writing fast in History when it's 3 essays in 2h 30 minutes... So I left soon after the SL students which in retrospect seems like a bit of a risky move but then again I'd written a conclusion and everything.

I expect I'll be doing what I've always done for English P2 since I know the books fairly well; I'll read through the Sparknotes the night before... All these high risk strategies make me seem like a bit of a slacker :D But it's always worked so far and I find P2 quite easy in general - and I'm focusing on History since I need a 7 from that.

Why do you choose to write an essay on books? Isn't it easier to write on the cultural oprions? I personally will ignore books, won't even care to read the spark notes ;p i've had enough while doing the individual oral :P

EDIT: I did section A, with all those stylistyc devices in text 1. Thought it was easy, but I always think those are easy. Geography tomorrow, that's what scares me.

Edited by olga

Why do you choose to write an essay on books? Isn't it easier to write on the cultural oprions? I personally will ignore books, won't even care to read the spark notes ;p i've had enough while doing the individual oral :P

EDIT: I did section A, with all those stylistyc devices in text 1. Thought it was easy, but I always think those are easy. Geography tomorrow, that's what scares me.

I'm pretty good with literary analysis because of A1 so it seems like there's less risk involved... Yeah I'm more worried about History and Biology as well, we've already got 50% of the grade in A2 English anyway so can't really fail too badly!

Oh cmon, looking at your predicted grades I feel like a complete fool, English is the only thing I actually am sure I did well in. But... well some people are genious and some study in Polish unis, that's how it goes hahah.

Ps. there's always november :)

Actually my teacher told us that students usually do better on the literary options.

I choose Section B in the end. It took me awhile to decide because none of the texts really inspired me at first glance. How much did you write? I did 4 sides of paper with my conclusion on a 5th.

Haha yeah, but some exams are far worse for examiners I suppose! I know my handwriting was a thousand times better in this paper than it will be in my other subjects when I'm running out of time :D I did 7 sides as far as I remember, + an outline on one sheet (mainly to look well organised...)

In my time zone Section A was about juices, to times prose, the first one was an itroduction to a cook book with juices recipes, the second one was an extract from a juicer selling website.

Section B was about prodigy children, the first one from some novel, very emotional, the second one kinda article..? I didn't actually read it to the end :)

In my time zone Section A was about juices, to times prose, the first one was an itroduction to a cook book with juices recipes, the second one was an extract from a juicer selling website.

Section B was about prodigy children, the first one from some novel, very emotional, the second one kinda article..? I didn't actually read it to the end :)

wait.. I got that time zone too! do you live in asia by the way?

I did section B having thought that there would be more "meat" on that section, however, it turned out to be the worst commentary I have ever written in my entire IB existence (hyperbole) but I am still hoping to get a good mark tho. I got to identify all of the required contents, but I was sure I could do better.

You can see the country in my profile, it's Poland, so Europe :) Maybe there was no time zones division on this exam, I did not really pay any attention to that...

You live in the States, Helen, are you not a native? I thought that section A had more stylistic devices, plus a lot of debate on the purpose of writing and approaches... you know, commercial text next to a cook book.

You can see the country in my profile, it's Poland, so Europe :) Maybe there was no time zones division on this exam, I did not really pay any attention to that...

You live in the States, Helen, are you not a native? I thought that section A had more stylistic devices, plus a lot of debate on the purpose of writing and approaches... you know, commercial text next to a cook book.

no, I am not a native :) I am an Indonesian living in San Fransisco. during the first five mins of reading time I was really confused which section to choose. I only read section A briefly and I thought that both texts are too similar and I thought that I was hard to compare them. I kept going back and forth back and forth till I finally decided on section B because I thought that the way they are written are really different, so I thought that I would be able to write more. but it turned out that section B really had not much literary devices, I only got to identify 2 or 3 stuffs. yup I agree that section A had more. ah I regret doing section B now :( hoping that the examiner would be lenient enough!

I have written 9 sides, 5 total answer sheets on section A, I just was inspired...

Hey, thats exactly the number of pages I wrote. I did it on section A as well (the stuff with the juices). I want to know if the stuff I mentioned in my commentary was similar to a few of your ideas instead of me thinking that I bull*****ed throughout the whole thing :P

The stuff I included was...

-the use of perspective (the first one was 1st and 2nd person whereas the the website was 2nd and 3rd person)

- The use of register (cookbook was informal and the other was formal)

- How both texts had a lot of descriptive writing and persuassive language

- The use of sensory images (they both had images that were related to taste... uhh hello juice?)

Thats about all I mentioned.. although no similes metaphors or any of that :S I was going to make reference to more stuff but I just ran out of time :/

Can you tell me if that was enough? or like the stuff you might have included which I didnt mention? It will get a load off my shoulder.. i've been tense about that exam since!

Thanks.

@ Sharif0721,

Ye I also ran out of time, so annoying! I mentioned most of the things you pointed out, so should be a good sign ;D .. other things I included:

- the purpose of each text and how that related to how they portray juices, as in that one was trying to sell juices by promoting its healthy benefits whilst the other was informing,entertaining, and encouraging the person to make juices since it was an extract from a recipe book. That links to the audience, and how the web advert might of put so much emphesis on the health side rather than taste because our societies are becoming obsessed with being "healthy" with the least amount of effort.

- I talked a bit about the structure and organisation of ideas.

- Stylistic Devices: there was a metaphor in the first sentence of the text 1 (something about him being a slave to juices), similies, repetion.. I forgot to mention Assonance and use of Slang words but -.-

That combined with what you said is pretty much all I wrote about. Hope this helps ;)

btw, how much revision are you guys doing for paper 2? I have Chem and French before so doubt that I'm gonna be able to put much time into it.