Psychology SL and HL P1

Phil2154

A really good PSYCHO P1 Paper... Only one question. In the question regarding factors influencing conformity I mentioned gender, culture, unanimity and group size. Should I mention only 2?

Tell me how you did in this paper! Really interested!

I thought I did ok.

The question on formation of stereotypes was kind of annoying, otherwise, it was a good paper 1. I did the reliability of one cognitive process:memory. You can never tell how it went though, depends on the examiner.

The question on stereotypes was so annoying! I also did the reliability of memory... I discussed Loftus & Palmer as well as several other smaller examples but that being the main one...and the schema theory of course and reconstructive nature and all that jazz...It's enough to have mentioned one main study though with other supporting ones right?

My teacher always told us two studys but if you have supporting ones i think it's ok!

Well what I did is I discussed Schema theory > Reconstructive Nature to memory > Freud and repression and the false cases of child abuse > The 2002 study of Loftus' eyewitness testimony thingy ma jiggy > Loftus and Palmer and whatever information surrounds... I could have mentioned Bartlett's serial reproduction but I really didn't have time...What do you think?

Psychology was definitely easier than what I was expecting! I hated psychology for two years but now I'm happy I chose it. The exam was quite straight forward :)and I did reliability of re-constructive memory too!

A lot of people in my class were caught off guard by the emotion influencing cognitive process surprisingly, for which I used Brown&Kulik, flashbulb memory.

• Like 2

My teacher always told us two studys but if you have supporting ones i think it's ok!

Well what I did is I discussed Schema theory > Reconstructive Nature to memory > Freud and repression and the false cases of child abuse > The 2002 study of Loftus' eyewitness testimony thingy ma jiggy > Loftus and Palmer and whatever information surrounds... I could have mentioned Bartlett's serial reproduction but I really didn't have time...What do you think?

Time management is really difficult to achieve in psychology. You mentioned a lot of research though so I think it's really good... However I have one objection about Freud's Repression Theory although we learnt it we were told not to include it anywhere because the IBO changed their mind or something like that! Crazyy world!

• Like 1

Time management is really difficult to achieve in psychology. You mentioned a lot of research though so I think it's really good... However I have one objection about Freud's Repression Theory although we learnt it we were told not to include it anywhere because the IBO changed their mind or something like that! Crazyy world!

Noway! I only mentioned it in order to criticize it with Loftus' study and how Freud's repression theory etc. caused false memories of child abuse to arise bla bla...it was in our book! Ugh. The trouble with us is that our first teacher was still new to IB, she left the first year, then we got another teacher who was IB certified, and she disappeared after Christmas vacation and we had to get another teacher ....so basically we didn't have much guidance on anything....(We're only two students btw) ahahaha. Oh dear. I hope it all works out....:) Thanks for reassuring me though!

spooky psychology teacheeeeers!!! I didn't reply to your post cause it's making all these tags and after 5 more posts it will like take one page! Could you tell me all the short answer questions you had to answer to see if they were totally different from TZ1?

Psychology was definitely easier than what I was expecting! I hated psychology for two years but now I'm happy I chose it. The exam was quite straight forward :)and I did reliability of re-constructive memory too!

A lot of people in my class were caught off guard by the emotion influencing cognitive process surprisingly, for which I used Brown&Kulik, flashbulb memory.

I also used flashbulb memory! A lot of questions caught me off guard too. Thankfully the topics are interesting and I could remember...

spooky psychology teacheeeeers!!! I didn't reply to your post cause it's making all these tags and after 5 more posts it will like take one page! Could you tell me all the short answer questions you had to answer to see if they were totally different from TZ1?

OK soooo...they asked about emotion and how it affects cognition...they asked about the formation of stereotypes andddd....how one hormone affects behavior.

Frankly I was really surprised....it was way too straightforward...

A really good PSYCHO P1 Paper... Only one question. In the question regarding factors influencing conformity I mentioned gender, culture, unanimity and group size. Should I mention only 2?

Tell me how you did in this paper! Really interested!

I think I did pretty good although I wasn't as well prepared for the given SAQ's as I would have liked to be especially the hormone question and I ended up using material in relation to adrenaline from health psychology. In terms of the essays I chose 'to what extent is one cognitive process reliable', which was overall nice: started of with memory models in general in conjunction with HM and Clive to support the fact that memory can be easily lost once capacity of STM is reached. Then I moved to discussing memory distortions (reconstructive) and schema processing: Bartlett, Brewer and Treyens as well as Loftus. The only thing I would have changed would have been to have a longer and more in-depth conclusion, because I ran out of time. I think I'm probably looking at a 5-6 depending on grade boundaries for P1. :rolleyes:

Edited by ocfx

the hormone question was the same in TZ1. We also had: evaluate one research study concerning schema theory (Easy Bartlett!) and explain two errors in attribution (also really good). Long answer were a bit tricky: one was explain ethical considerations in genetic research, the other to what extend do social or cultural factors affect one cognitive process and explain factors influencing conformity! Generally good!

the hormone question was the same in TZ1. We also had: evaluate one research study concerning schema theory (Easy Bartlett!) and explain two errors in attribution (also really good). Long answer were a bit tricky: one was explain ethical considerations in genetic research, the other to what extend do social or cultural factors affect one cognitive process and explain factors influencing conformity! Generally good!

OMgggggg I would've loved to have those questions! Especially errors in attribution! So simple...

Yeah TZ1 got pretty good questions. I studied my rear off for this test because I really want a 7! Which long answer question did other people pick? I picked the sociocultural one about factors influencing conformity and talked about Asche's studies and modifications of it. I had a ton to say about conformity. On the others I was afraid I couldn't write enough and really just had one or two things that would work.

I did exactly the same with you although I'm not going for a 7! I just used two answer sheets... guess you used more :P Almost everybody in the examination room did the cognitive one... I was tricked with the or in social OR cultural... I didn't know which one to do and it seemed tricky... Ok I'm now posting another topic for Psychology P2. I'm standard level but it will also be for HL...

The reliability of memory question (TZ2) was a gift! Out of everything, it was the one I wanted to come up as a LAQ, I accidentally said 'yes!' slightly audibly when I turned over the paper, lol.

The "describe one theory or one study about the formation of stereotypes" one was pretty mean though. We didn't learn one specific theory in detail, more like a mix and match of different people's. I talked about Tajfel's social categorization and category accentuation theories, but there wasn't really a whole lot to say. What did anyone else think/do?

Oh yeah and for the hormone one, I could describe what a lot of effects were, but the only thing I wasn't sure about was the command term "explain how" - explain means give reasons or causes (according to the syllabus), but I mean, surely we weren't expected to explain HOW the hormone actually caused the behaviour. I don't know HOW oxytocin increases trust and generosity, it just does!!

The reliability of memory question (TZ2) was a gift! Out of everything, it was the one I wanted to come up as a LAQ, I accidentally said 'yes!' slightly audibly when I turned over the paper, lol.

The "describe one theory or one study about the formation of stereotypes" one was pretty mean though. We didn't learn one specific theory in detail, more like a mix and match of different people's. I talked about Tajfel's social categorization and category accentuation theories, but there wasn't really a whole lot to say. What did anyone else think/do?

Oh yeah and for the hormone one, I could describe what a lot of effects were, but the only thing I wasn't sure about was the command term "explain how" - explain means give reasons or causes (according to the syllabus), but I mean, surely we weren't expected to explain HOW the hormone actually caused the behaviour. I don't know HOW oxytocin increases trust and generosity, it just does!!

For the formation of stereotypes I briefly introduced the basis of stereotypes as having to do with social categorization and social rerpresentations (Moscovici) and since it said to describe one theory or study I described a study conducted by Howarth et al. on formation of social representations based on group membership (it's in Crane's book), I couldn't think of anything better I mean social identity theory might have been a good idea as well, but I was able to quite successfully draw connections between the findings of the study on social representations and formation of stereotypes. I don't know if the examiners will like it though. The only SAQ that I was really satisfied with was the cognition and emotion question in, which I evaluated and explained flashbulb memories like most people.

The hormone question was a tough one for me as well. I mean I talked about adrenaline in relation to some material we had covered for health psychology and stress reactions and the mode of action through the sympathetic nervous system, but I think I really wasn't able to sufficiently explain its impact on behaviour other than that it raises arousal levels and heart rate, which might cause an inappropriately strong reaction to a harmless stimulus.