English A1 SL P1 (TZ2)

Connhk

Thought it went pretty well! I did the prose and didn't have too many issues with time, though it is an exam. Missed a couple points in my plan but it was a good way to start the exam period.

Edited by Connhk

Hey guys,

I just wrote my paper 1 english and I ran out of time for conclusion.. I had 6 pages fulls, (3 sheets) was almost finishing my last paragraph and didn't do any conclusion... Does anybody knows how much that would affect?

Exact same situation! I think we wont score as high in the presentation aspect but the 'understanding', 'interpretation', 'literary features' and 'language' aspects should be unaffected ... theoretically. I guess we just have to do well on paper 2. Which did you do prose or poem? I did the poem, it seemed decent.

Does anyone know what the poet was trying to get across when the boy's hair "un-clicked themselves"?

"I'm rising five" he said

"Not four" and the little coils of hair

Un-clicked themselves upon his head.

His spectacles, brimful of eyes to stare

At me and the meadow, reflected cones of light

Above his toffee-buckled cheeks. He'd been alive

Fifty-six months or perhaps a week more;

Not four

But rising five.

Around him in the field, the cells of spring

Bubbled and doubled; buds unbuttoned; shoot

And stem shook out the creases from their frills,

And every tree was swilled with green.

It was the season after blossoming,

Before the forming of the fruit:

Not May

But rising June.

And in the sky

The dust dissected the tangential light:

Not day

But rising night;

Not now

But rising soon.

The new buds push the old leaves from the bough.

We drop our youth behind us like a boy

Throwing away his toffee-wrappers. We never see the flower,

But only the fruit in the flower; never the fruit,

But only the rot in the fruit. We look for the marriage bed

In the baby's cradle; we look for the grave in the bed;

Not living

But rising dead.

Norman Nicholson

SL TZ2 got Rising Five for poetry. I thought there was much to the structure of the stanzas that the examiners may be expected of from the candidates... Didn't have the time to actually write much though. Only wrote 4 pages and left all my planned notes unwritten... Sigh*

Plus my organization of ideas was so messy. -.-"

Kept jumping all over the place about tone, imagery, diction, structure etc.

Not good!

But overall an easy poem though. :D

- Just curious, did anyone identify the poem as didactic poetry or am I the only one? (lol)

Edited by I`m Potato

Didn't anyone attempt prose in english a1 sl??

A lot of people from my school did. I didn't bother with the names, they thought it was easier than the poem. It's the prose about the child/teen who finds out his father knew where his mother was all this time right?

Edited by gkong

Hi guys I am standard level and i chose the prose. I relatively focused on the relationship between the boy's father and mother, choices of vocabulary, sensory devices, imagery, tone and atmosphere, and other stuffs.

I was also not able to write a proper conclusion! :( I ran out of time....

I just have a question, I wrote as part of my interpretation that the father of the "Edwin" was hiding his true identity from him as if he is wearing a mask. However as Edwin discusses in the passage, it is as if Edwin realizes the true identity (which shows contradiction in terms of the words he used to describe his father) of the behind story of his parents.

Also this is just my personal idea, I think his mother remarried someone else because based on the description of the picture, his friend talked about the uncomfortable clothing of his mother, and that showed social class of a different family (I think???) I wrote that Edwin overall thought that his mother was dead and he trusted his father more than anybody in the world, but realizing the lies behind it he felt "anger+betrayal" and mixed emotions eventually allowing him to experience all the pains in terms of physically, mentally, and especially emotionally. Relatively the downfall of his life as if him experiencing one of the largest barriers of his life.

How is my interpretation in general? I was not able to write everything in-depth because I lacked time... I wanted to say more interpretations.

P.S. I am just curious on the relationship between Edwin and his friend because it is as if he/she knows the background relationship between Edwin's parents more than he does. It is as if he/she is expecting him to know what had happened to both of them, but Edwin has no idea which makes him ask the same question twice towards the end of the passage.

I will thankfully accept your comments on my interpretations! :D

Hey guys,

I just wrote my paper 1 english and I ran out of time for conclusion.. I had 6 pages fulls, (3 sheets) was almost finishing my last paragraph and didn't do any conclusion... Does anybody knows how much that would affect?

Yea me too. I mean I had time for 1 sentence in the last minute and it was pretty general :sadnod:, but otherwise half-decent stuff.

@Keel - I don't have a clear interpretation for the unclicking but I drew a connection between it and the unbuttoning of nature --> that is something unfolding. It would have actually been a good point to make that it's the unraveling of human nature, which according to the voice of the poem seems to be related the inherent need to look to the future never actually looking to the present around us? I don't know how good my analysis is, but I also took notice of the nature imagery and seasons being used (in a cliche sort of manner) to depict the passing nature of time and human life. And a fair bit of other stuff, but i tried to stick to the stuff on the page and not jump into any too allegorical conclusions.

Edited by ocfx

I did the English A1 SL paper and chose the poem over the prose for the simple reason that it was a poem I had analysed 2 years ago while doing the Cambridge International Examinations.I hope my analysis and interpretation of the poem was of sufficient depth. Anyways, it wasnt a great advantage to have seen the poem "Rising Five" by Norman Nicholson, before as I last saw it 2 years ago and I would have a different interpretation now after doing 2 years of International Baccalaurette Programme.

Most people at my school did the prose too - I think it was easier as there's lots more to say, just because it's longer! I think it went ok but I'm not a fan of English anyway! I did nearly run out of time and had a rushed conclusion.

Exact same situation! I think we wont score as high in the presentation aspect but the 'understanding', 'interpretation', 'literary features' and 'language' aspects should be unaffected ... theoretically. I guess we just have to do well on paper 2. Which did you do prose or poem? I did the poem, it seemed decent.

Does anyone know what the poet was trying to get across when the boy's hair "un-clicked themselves"?

Not four

But rising five.

Not May

But rising June.

And in the sky

Not day

But rising night;

Not now

But rising soon.

Not living

But rising dead.

Norman Nicholson

I said it was the boy's attainment of maturity, as his hair (head) "un-clicked themselves" into reality, of mortality and such. It was the development of his life cycle.

Thoughts?

I absolutly loved the poem. There could not

Have been a better poem that they could give

Us. There was sooo mucu to talk about,

Since the meaning and beauty of the poem

Jumped right out of the page. Brilliant.

I did not even read the prose.well done guys!

• Like 1

Not four

But rising five.

Not May

But rising June.

And in the sky

Not day

But rising night;

Not now

But rising soon.

Not living

But rising dead.

Norman Nicholson

I said it was the boy's attainment of maturity, as his hair (head) "un-clicked themselves" into reality, of mortality and such. It was the development of his life cycle.

Thoughts?

Absolutly correct. But this c

Imagery can also be interpritated as the beauty

Of the cild and enjoying his usefullness

Before he rises five. It shows that one

Must appreciate their youth as much as possible.

Not four

But rising five.

Not May

But rising June.

And in the sky

Not day

But rising night;

Not now

But rising soon.

Not living

But rising dead.

Norman Nicholson

Thoughts?

I said the exact same thing, and I talked about how man is always looking forward and the ultimate fate of man is always death which is evident in everything including the change in tone as it goes from fast and lively to slow and sad, and I bull****ted for about 3 more pages, then gave a crappy half conclusion half analysis paragraph becuase I ran out of time and had to explain my last point otherwise my conclusion would not have made sense at all as opposed to the semblance of a structure that my essay took.