Abnormal: Is it ok to learn only one disorder?

frankinafishtank

In the syllabus it says we have to know two disorders from two categories; our options are depression and PTSD. However, in the learning outcomes it usually says that you should evaluate only ONE disorder.

So, is it safe to learn only depression?

How likely is it that in the exam it will ask us to evaluate both?

I would learn the etiologies for both of the disorders as the syllabus does ask you to do so, better be safe than sorry! ^^

I would if i had the time, but our teacher went through the last section very quickly because we weren't done with the syllabus until about 2 weeks ago.

So i'm trying to prioritise simply because there is no time :P

Would it be a huge risk?

If you look at page 21 of the syllabus you should know 1 disorder from 2 categories (so 2 disorders total). You could easily get an 11 mark question that says describe symptoms of 2 disorders followed by another 11 mark question saying analyse etiologies of these disorders. If time is an issue then know one disorder very well and vaguely learn the 2nd so at least you have something to write.

I focused on one disorder but learned basic stuff for another disorder. It is unlikely that u will get a question asking u to talk about the biological, cognitive, and sociocultural etiologies/treatments for 2 disorders. So what I would suggest is to study one disorder thoroughly (basic information, etiologies, and treatments) and then for the second disorder study one etiology and the equivalent treatment.

Good luck