Is the exam really hard?

DDuino

because i am predicted high..like six...but i have got a bad feeling...dont know why...so you say that if you get the 20% of IA 7 then you should be fine though the exams go worse?which text book did you use?

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

I used the Hease and Harris textbooks for the core part and the option. Yes, Internal assessments are really important. Try to make 20% out of them. If you say you´re in the first year of IB (IB1), you can´t say "I´m predicted high" cause you still have 1 year and a half ahead of more topics that will be harder than those that you saw until the moment. Your real predicted grade will be calculated in April 2012 after you´re done with the whole syllabus and you completed your internal assessments. So, my advise is that don´t rely on your predicted grade, just stick to practise, practise and more practise and you´ll do better. Remember "Practice makes it perfect." good luck

Guest Red XII

No matter how much of a math genius you may be, the exam will be hard. Insanely hard. It's known as one of the most difficult IB exams.

Guest Red XII

Yes, it is hard. But on the other hand you only need like 66% or so to get a level 7, meaning that you can get a 7 with a third of the paper wrong. So, it is "easy" in that sense.

That's neglecting the fact that a huge percentage of people leave somewhere around half of the paper blank...

Wow I never thought it's that easy to get a seven... paper 1 waz definitely hard, but not impossible. I know how to do most of them, but the something went wrong with the calculations, which left me pondering for awhile. For all the problems, I did all of them and skipped around some of part B, but overall, I'm pretty sure I got at least a 5.

HL maths is impossible.

Only like 1% get a 7 so I think to get a high grade you have to be constantly reviewing the learnt material and going an extra mile on independent study. Not only doing the past exam questions but making sure you go over the syllabus thoroughly and: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And of course acing the coursework. Although a lot of people ace the coursework and still come out with a 3 or 4 in HL Maths...

Ya, the exams are really hard. I'm not sure I even got a 50% on the first paper, and I think I got like 55-65% on the second paper. Basically, in our class, no one managed to finish either of the papers. So ya, study a lot and know the concepts really well...

Did Paper 1 and 2 last week and yeah, definitely tough. Paper 1 was pretty nasty, especially some of the questions on Section B.

Didn't get round to finishing, had to leave a few questions.

I found Paper 2 a bit easier, but it was still a lot to do in the 2 hours and it certainly wasn't easy.

Nobody in our class finished that either.

Hoping for some low boundaries, need a 7 for my offer...

Good luck everyone!

In my opinion it is difficult, but not impossible. IB is all about playing by the rule. They make the rule, and you have to play by the rule. It follows for all the subjects. I just finished my exams in papers 1,2, and 3 in terms of the difficulty it is not that difficult. If you decide to take Math HL it is crucial for you to be experienced with a lot of questions in all of the topics because they twist the questions a lot (If you get what i mean :D)

Never cram in math! In terms of IA's and the exams. If you practice almost all the time, I am sure that you can pull it out just fine! :D

Earn confidence through practice in terms of time management because anyone can know the concept in math, but not anyone can manage their time efficiently. :)

Best of Luck!

I'm in my first year of HL Maths and I'm at best an above-average student. Some of the answers on this thread are making me freak out.

Our math teacher isn't strict with us in any way and never consistantly gives us proper homework. Don't know how worried I should be about this.

I'm in my first year of HL Maths and I'm at best an above-average student. Some of the answers on this thread are making me freak out.

Our math teacher isn't strict with us in any way and never consistantly gives us proper homework. Don't know how worried I should be about this.

Best way to study is to do past tests. If your teacher doesn't give you enough homework, then find extra questions to do (provided that you understand all of the concepts in the curriculum first, of course).

Hi,

does it really matter whether the exam is hard or not? Your grades are not only determined by the score you get, but also by the scores that other students around the world get. You don't have to be good in maths, when the rest of the world sucks. You have to be better than others. Thats it. Just study, and do lots of past papers. The syllabus doesn't change and there is not a lot of questions that can be on the exams about, for example, matrices. I assume there is like 150 questions that you have to understand, and any exam will consist of these, but there is gonna be, for example, different coefficients. Do past papers and you will succeed.

Greetings from Germany.

Yes Maths HL is hard, but it is no where near impossible. If you look at the stats of past sessions, usually 8% get a 7 which isn't that bad. If you put the effort in it isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. I have covered 100% of the core and with still 6 months to improve I am usually averaging a high 5-low 6. Just put the effort in, practice past papers like you life depends on it, and you will be fine.