Visual Art Options (HLA vs. HLB, etc.)

elmar

Clearly, there are students who benefit more so than others when taking HLA (the one where more emphasis is placed on your artwork). This is the class that my school automatically selects for its students. When I signed up for Visual Arts as my sixth subject, my decision was based off the fact that this wouldn't be the case, mostly because I feel I'm not that talented when it comes to artwork. I always assumed I would take HLB. Is my school allowed to do this? I asked my teacher, and she says that our school only teaches HLA and that HLB (or SLB) is something "totally different."

The difference between option A and option B is the ratio of studio work to the RWB that you are graded on, which is what you already probably already know. In option A, 60% of your grade will be based on studio work and 40% on the workbook and vice versa. And HLA and HLB are not totally different, only that you have to display fewer pieces for your final exhibition, and submit more RWB pages. But it's true, schools generally teach just one option to the entire grade- it's much more convenient.

And as far as talent is concerned, I don't think you should worry too much because the examiner wants to see your development as an artist throughout the course... So as long as you use the skills that you will pick up either in class or outside, you should be fine! I'm in SLB, and am pretty sucky too. For homework, I tried to draw my little brother in a crouch position and my teacher thought it was a frog -.- I'm slightly better at landscapes though, and my knack for 'abstract' work has generally been appreciated in my school :)

Just hang in there!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

At least you're taught... The (3) IB art students in my year are all in with A level classes. Once every 2 weeks or so one of our teachers will have a chat with us about our projects, and he is brilliant, but in general guidance is minimal.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be allowed to do HLB. It depends on how much guidance you're being given in class. And bear in mind that HLB students are expected to display a great depth of analysis and contextual understanding. If it'd just be a matter of you telling your teacher that you're going to work in the HLB style rather than the HLA style, that shouldn't be a problem I imagine. But if your classes are extremely directed and you'd reall be having to go it alone to do HLB, it'd be more a matter of your own confidence in your ability to analyse everything rather than just draw.

As for quality of work, as Srishti Mehrotra said, it really isn't that important that you can do silly things like draw, as long as you can show that you've developed through the course. One of the other girls in my IB group who does art has never done art before in her life and when she started she couldn't draw to save her life. Now she's doing really well though. :)

The IB art course is an utter joy in my oppinion. Enjoy it. It's good. :)

Well i'd say that if you're not so artsy, try to just use media you're comfortable with. Like lets say you're comfortable with paint as a media? Then use paint and just experiment with it. Experimentation also gets you a long way in IB art. Or if you not good at paintings as a whole, you could do 3D pieces. (Look at Damien Hirst if you want) Or even repeat patterns. Just a few ideas if you're not able to move to HLB. I still say that that HLA is still the better option because from what i've seen, you can really do well, especially if you really exhibit your pieces well. Since you live in India, getting materials should be pretty easy, unlike here in zimbabwe, getting materials is pretty tough.

In my opinion, HLA is a very good option, if you're not a lazy candidate. lol. But on the other hand, if you're stronger in your IWB, HLB should be a much better option. I think you should first speak to your art teacher then go speak to your co-ordinator. You should be comfortable in what you're doing because art is one of those subjects where you have to enjoy the subject in order to do really well. But you should also strive to be better and to grow. Art examiners mainly want to see growth in your work.

If you want more artists or ideas etc, pm me and i'll give you a few pointers. :)

• 2 years later...