Psychology, Economics or Business for my 6th subject?

dubyawhy

I was originally gonna do French as a 3rd language, but due to scheduling options it turns out I can't. Right now my course looks like:

English A1 Higher

Mandarin B Higher

History Higher

Maths Standard

Biology Standard

Final Subject Higher

I'm currently deciding between Economics, Business, and Psychology. And of course, there's also Physics and Chemistry...still keeping those options open. Haha so basically everything available to me.

I really am not sure what my future plans for university are...but I'm definitely going into the Social-Sciences route. Right now my broad field of interests covers International Relations, Law and (just slightly) Business as well. I think I'd fit just perfectly into Oxford's Politics, Philosophy and Economics course.

So really...I'd like to hear some comments from people doing Psychology/Econs/Business! Which one out of the three is the easiest to get a 7? Which is the most interesting? Which is more useful for what I want to do?

I've heard Psychology is mostly rote memorisation. Is this true? How is Econs or Business? Are they theory and logic based, or are they also memorisation? Are they mathematical?

I've heard group 3 subjects are not quite difficult at HL, and that the difference isn't much. So for this reason, I'd take this 6th subject at HL so I'd have 4 highers.

and most importantly:

which is the least time consuming? Haha. I'm taking French outside of school for CAS, as my school can't offer it to me, and so I won't have much time on my hands. I'll basically be balancing 7 courses...so this is a tad important.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me :D

• Like 1

I can't really comment on psychology or business but economics is a good option if you want to go into social sciences (especially for international relations). To be honest I don't find economics to be that interesting (but then again I'm not that interested in social science :P ) but it's not a difficult course. Right now it is mainly theory-based. You will have to memorize some things but it's not that bad. I think that economics has been my least time-consuming course over the past year, I haven't spent heaps of time studying it.

However, they are changing the syllabus for 2013 exams. The course is supposed to be more mathematical in nature than it is now. I don't know if this will make he course easier or harder for you... O.o

:gluck:

I do not suggest B&M as many people see it as a useless subject. (even if you want to study business in uni, you need to take Econs HL but B&M is not really required)

Psychology or Economics that is..

I suggest Econs. Please note that the new Econs course will be mathematical, but don't worry, it's not going to be harder than your Math SL, nor is it going to be harder than Math Studies. You just need to do minor calculations and plot graphs using those figures. Something like that. But it's useful.

It's often said that the Econs IA is the easiest Group 3 IA. You will just need to find articles and write commentaries. That's it! No need to go out, interview people or go down the river and investigate sth.

In Econs, if you know your concepts well, can draw diagrams, can calculate and know how to elaborate your points, you will score well. Don't worry. I suggest taking Econs. It seems to be useful for what you want to study in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

I'd advise Economics based on your career interests. The thought processes involved are useful for your career interests and the social sciences in general. Economics is heavily focused on critical thinking, which is essential for law and useful in absolutely everything.