new to this....

AIM52510

ok so i'm probably starting ib diploma next year. I'm a pretty above average student, in my opinion, but not the best either. I'm just more advanced than most people in my class with a 3.6 GPA unweighted taking harder classes such as Calculus ans AP Psychology as a sophomore. Sadly, my study habits aren't the best though:/ any tips?

As long as I have studied I niether havn't had a good study habbit, but these terms I have tried to look how friends cope with it and make myself a way to handle the homework.

Right now (and here comes my tip) I write every deadline and test or whatever I got in my calendar and after it a box and when I have done my homework I simply cross it. I also use circles in order to plan what I need to do each day, and cross them when I'm done as well. Haha. It sounds overcontrolling but taking in consider that before, each time I was studying I went went through all subjects, trying to figure out what I needed to do before I started study, so this method is kind of working for me.

• Like 1

It's really not bad if you do everything on time and pay attention in class. (Especially in english if you're taking it...because i fell asleep through most of it..and now It's freaking me out) If you're above average you'll be fine :) I never had to pull an all nighter..maybe once for extended essay or writing cas journals. good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

If you can manage to avoid procrastination, it's really not that bad.

That said, I don't know a single IB student who managed to avoid procrastination. Expect to have nights with little to no sleep if you want to succeed. I lost count of the all-nighters I've pulled because I've done so many of them.

It's definitely been a worthwhile experience, and I feel that it's made me a better democratic citizen, a better thinker, immensely more prepared for university, and a much better candidate when applying to universities (I credit much of my success in admissions to my participation in the IB). If I could go back in time and choose whether to do IB, I'd make the same decision. (I would, however, have taken Econ instead of Chem, and I would not be willing to repeat IB - once is enough ;))

Guest Red XII

^ I'm only 8 months into IB and I wish I'd never taken Chemistry. I really should've done Geography or History instead.

And I must now eat my words. After the Chem exam went extremely well, I'm glad I took it. I still would've preferred Econ over two sciences just for the actual course material, but I might have done Econ instead of Physics.

Tips:

- Avoid procrastinating as much as possible (I know, I know... it's hard, but all I'm saying is to TRY)

- Always ask for help from peers and teachers when in doubt, or if you don't understand a certain concept. There is always a lot of material your teachers need to cover, so if you don't understand something, you're going to miss the boat :P

- Do your work regularly. Do not leave things for last minute; everything piles up :(

- Stay organized

- Don't brush aside CAS. Find long term as well as short term goals.

- Try your best to "like" your classes, it's much easier if you like it anyway :)

• Like 1

Sadly, my study habits aren't the best though

Dude, join the club. I don't think ANY IB student can claim to having fantastic study habits, because procrastination rules the IB roost. There are ways to minimise the negative effects of procrastination (such as, you know, getting your ass in gear), but seriously. It happens. A lot. :P

Honestly, you don't have to be some certified genius to do IB. A lot of people in my classes were average students, but because they truly WANTED to do well, they ended up getting at least over 35 points. Don't jump into it if you're not positive, because it's a huge time commitment and kind of turns you into a social pariah, LOL. But it's definitely worth it for university, especially since I used a good handful of my credits towards usless first-year classes. And even though I got sucked into the vortex of procrastination alongside everyone else, I came out with a good knowledge of how to study in post-secondary. So really, it's worth it.

And yes, don't be flippant with CAS! Get on your hours as soon as humanly possible. It'll make your life soooo much easier. :yes:

• Like 1