Letting go of CAS activities

veelzh

This has been frustrating me ever since term started ending. I want to take up new CAS activities (join an orchestra) but I like my other activities and don't want to drop them. Or rather, some have been progressing really well and I think dropping them would be a waste. The thing is if i take everything i like up, i won't be able to cope.

I know i wont have problems meeting the required hours, i do all of my CAS activities because they are very rewarding and interesting. all of them :S

How many activities do you guys usually take on at the same time? Need advice on how to choose my CAS activities!

Well, how many other activities do you take?

P55pz.jpg

Those are my CAS activities. Yes I am still in IB1, and yes I finished my CAS hours and learning outcomes in 3 quarters.

In the first semester I had 4 weekly activities (one of which is conducted twice a week, so I have 5 CAS activities per week). They were Tennis (compulsory), Choir, Drama and Dance. TBH I joined Dance because I wanted to gain new experiences, Choir because my friends were joining too and Drama because of the teacher. I wasn't able to manage to finish my HW on time because of those activities and I really wanted to drop 1 or 2 of those.

However my Choir made me have to do it 3x a week (b/c we were joining a competition) and so I dropped Dance and Drama. With that, I didn't feel much difference because I still had 4 activities per week which are really lot remembering I have much HW to work on. I really regretted taking Choir and wanted to drop it ASAP.

Now that the competition is over, I don't go to my choir anymore and I feel so much better: I have time to take a nap. Anyhow I have to mention that I've got other mini activities to do like writing articles for the yearbook and designing the ticket for prom night.

As a conclusion, I don't recommend you to take the orchestra if you've got so many activities. It's not worth it. You could use the time for something more useful.

Guest Pingg

Well joining an orchestra, specifically a youth orchestra, has its benefits.

My youth symphony tours around the world and locally so I get to count those hours as both creativity and service.

But you really shouldn't think of CAS as "how many activities can i do at once?".

Just think of it as "I want to take this opportunity and then I'll move on to another."

Also you still have got plenty of time!! It's nothing to be worrying about.

Just make a plan of all the activities you want to do and how much time you think you might dedicate to them, then plan when it might be possible for you to do them.

Time management is an IB kid's best friend. ;)

Doing something long term is a GREAT way to get CAS hours. I do understand what you mean though, it can get overwhelming if you want to do it all... I suggest maybe doing the orchestra to try it out (what instrument(s) do you play?). If you decide to drop it, that's totally A-okay! That's part of life, that's part of CAS, that's part of IB :) They want you to try different things so that you become well-rounded. If you only end up doing an activity for a few months (or less!), just write in your reflexion the reason you dropped it. Talk about how it has shaped you into a better person and write much about how you felt and your experiences while you were involved in that activity!

I'll post up what I've done for CAS... and for those who are struggling with getting their hours, here are a few friendly tips!:

- get a few long term activities --> this ensures you that you have SOMETHING on ManageBac (if that's what you're using) and that you are getting involved with stuff around you. And if you have like, let's say, 2 long term activities, one hour each activity/ week, that's a pretty good start!

- do activities that may only require one weekend, but where you can complete at least 6 hours of something. You can think of it kinda as if you are "banking" your hours... If you end up with a few weeks of no activities due to the IB homework overload, then at least the extra few hours you had last month kinda compensates for your inactivity. (That dosen't mean that you're "taking the hours out of your bank" and writing it in for that week!! It just means that you are somewhat "safe" because you had lots of CAS hours in like, one weekend a few days/weeks earlier).

- Do it because you LIKE the activity. I can be hard for some to like CAS, but if you find something that you actually don't mind doing, then you'll enjoy it MUCH more!

- Ask around! Ask friends, parents, family... anyone, anywhere!! Ask if you can help with any upcoming activity. Ask in advance! Tell people what your goals are and that you are available when needed. Promote yourself, be active :)

- Make sure you have a camera handy during your CAS activities. IB -CAS- headquarters LOVE pictures... Remember, a picture is worth more than a thousand words! With pictures as a proof of you in action, is perfectly AWESOME because it is like "concrete evidence" for them and it makes it harder for them to question your implication in your activity :)

- Provide sufficient evidence for your activities (so, pictures....)

Have fun with CAS :) You won't find it a drag if you will only put the smile into everything you do :D

Edited by egr12resa