Maths Studies Revision Help

AGBellamy

I need help- urgently. Sorry if there is already a topic on this- delete/move as appropriate.

Our teacher was really bad for the past couple of years, and although there are things I can do I cannot do them as well as I should be able to by now. My GDC skills are less than hopeless although I'm learning how to use it by myself, but if anybody can help me by giving some advice on exam technique/revision technique, etc. This is what I've done/already do:

- Read the Gezner Maths Studies study guide

- Practiced some questions to practice the methods

- Trying to learn the GDC

- Read examiner's commentary on past questions in the Q-bank our teacher gave us

Thank you! HGB

Since you're very close to your exam now, the best thing to do is to do past paper questions. Do every question you can get a hold of. Ask your teacher for a markscheme so you know what they award marks for and what they don't award marks for. If you're stuck on a question and need to look it up in your notes, make note of it so you know that you are not so good with that question (so that you can revisit it later). Also make note of the questions you got wrong. Then when you are done with past paper questions, redo them! This will help to drill them into your head. Practice makes perfect. :D

As for your GDC, yes it's important that you know how to use it. Spend some time getting to know your calculator and maybe ask your teacher to help you a bit. Even if he/she is a horrible teacher, they should still know how to use a graphing calculator :P However, past papers are more important, IMO.

Reading study guides can help, but you need to know how to apply what you learned. That's why actually doing questions as opposed to just reading them is much more important. I would just use it as a reference point if necessary.

Examiner's commentary is also helpful.

In order of importance I would say:

study guide < examiner's comments < learn how to use GDC < past papers

• Like 1