Can someone tell me if this counts for CAS hours?

TDF = CAS Hours  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Does my participation in the TDF program count towards IB's required CAS hours?

Hey people! So I have been in this program that is geared towards exposing public school to theater. I had to apply for the porgram and I got in! So we get assigned a mentor and he takes us to 6 Broadway plays, one each month. After we Broadway play we have a 2 hour discussion and then we write a journal enrty, which we have to submit to the program. It's called Theater Development Funds (TDF) Open Doors program. Here's a link for more information, its not a long article: My link Do you guys think this counts as CAS hours? I think it does but the teacher that comes with us to the meetings and plays says that it doesn't. Whenever I ask her why,she just says that it doesn't. She has no valid reason unless "No" counts. Let me know what you think.

Simply seeing a show does not provide you with CAS hours. the CAS program is all about learning something new and furthering your worldly knowledge. If you had participated in the play in some role that had previously been foreign to you, that would give you creativity hours. Participation is required for things to count for CAS.

Participate in an end-of-year celebration with mentors, other students and program alumni

mmm what kind of celebration is that? if you are going to be playing a role in a production then you can count this whole program as CAS. the discussions after watching is the 'learning process'.

otherwise you cannot...

• 2 weeks later...

This definitely counts as CAS! As long as you can write something in your reflections that shows you have accomplished at least one of the learning outcomes, then it should be fine. Oh wow, your supervisor is so strict about CAS! My supervisor would've accepted this in a heartbeat-- after all, someone submitted rock band and it was approved!

My supervisor would've accepted this in a heartbeat-- after all, someone submitted rock band and it was approved!

Seriously? Rock Band? O.o Well it depends on your coordinator. Some are really lenient and some not so much :/ Some people at my school fasted for charity and counted it for action hours. I don't thnk fasting really qualifies as action but apparently the coordinator does :/ In the exemplar CAS reflections from my school, someone even watched a movie and counted it for CAS :blink: If you can BS a way to make it count (like saying that it enhancs your knowledge on different cultures, time periods, I don't know :P) then do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, your supervisor is so strict about CAS! My supervisor would've accepted this in a heartbeat-- after all, someone submitted rock band and it was approved!

Each CAS coordinator is a unique individual, so they all consider activities in a different fashion. But, to be honest, I don't agree that Rock Band can be even considered for CAS. Everything is moderated on ManageBac, or like, IBO's keeping an eye out for their students. If they see this, then they will be intrigued to see what the student's description of their "activity" looks like (how DOES it look like?).

All of our CAS coordinators need to sign a paper (IB's all about paperwork) stating that we have worked for X amount of hours and this is what this student was able to accomplish. Faking CAS is not ethical (yeah, got some TOK in my answer!), so do not do it. So yeah, back to my previous point, IBO would probably talk to the coordinator and let them know why they may not accept Rock Band as an activity (if it does happen). And no offense or anything, but I really do hope that they do. There is SO much we can accomplish with CAS! Why not use this time to broaded our Resumes, and explore the world, and possibly even ourselves?

Guest Red XII

Oh wow, your supervisor is so strict about CAS! My supervisor would've accepted this in a heartbeat-- after all, someone submitted rock band and it was approved!

Each CAS coordinator is a unique individual, so they all consider activities in a different fashion. But, to be honest, I don't agree that Rock Band can be even considered for CAS. Everything is moderated on ManageBac, or like, IBO's keeping an eye out for their students. If they see this, then they will be intrigued to see what the student's description of their "activity" looks like (how DOES it look like?).

All of our CAS coordinators need to sign a paper (IB's all about paperwork) stating that we have worked for X amount of hours and this is what this student was able to accomplish. Faking CAS is not ethical (yeah, got some TOK in my answer!), so do not do it. So yeah, back to my previous point, IBO would probably talk to the coordinator and let them know why they may not accept Rock Band as an activity (if it does happen). And no offense or anything, but I really do hope that they do. There is SO much we can accomplish with CAS! Why not use this time to broaded our Resumes, and explore the world, and possibly even ourselves?

There's hardly any moderation on CAS, which is why people are able to BS so many things into CAS and why IB coordinators differ so wildly when it comes to CAS.

As for the OP, I don't think there's really much way you can spin this into CAS. If you were participating in some sort of theater production, it would easily count, but just watching it isn't creative at all - that's just entertainment.