Which subject to take?

AnitaK

Russian is practically my mother language and if I take it as a B language HL then 7 points are practically mine :D. But the problem is that I am very fond of German too, but I have studied it for only 3 years and am nowhere even close to Russian with it and I am scared of losing points and getting like 4-6 p. instead of 6 or 7. Now I dont't know what to take, a language which would give me max. points or a language new I could maybe learn to a normal level.. What do you think ? :/

Guest IBkidd

hey

i had the same problem with other subs : maths which i enjoyed and german (my mother tongue)

i chose to the harder one MATHS Hl, because the thrill and enjoyment would keep me motivated

and going and in the end i would be more pleased with myself. Also, i thought that i could always

learn maths in my free time but i knew that was just a theory and would never really happen

unless im forced to do it :D, but hey i really enjoy it.

i'd rather do something hard but exciting instead somthng easy and boring XD

just my opinion, cause even though i sometimes find it tough, i know why i did it

and never give up! have full confidence, and you can achieve whatever you want to!

good luck ;)

xxxx

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

I was thinking of exactly the same things. German would keep me motivated and I would enjoy lessons more as there I would be learning something new all the time. Russian otherwise would give me some of the free time an IB kid might need :D Then again, maybe I will later regret not taking a challenging subject. Hard thing to choose, but maybe I could seriously do as one person suggested to me: in the IB take Russian and get 7 for granted (at least something will be then sure with the points, as my other two HL subjects are Biology and Chemistry which..aren't my strongest sides, especially Chem. ) and during my "free time" take somewhere German courses and try to get CAS hours for that. Though IB German can not be compared to some local language school or smth...

Going to be tough :D

You would take German B SL, correct?

I think it also depends on where you want to study. I know if you want to study in Germany, German is a requirement, so if you're headed over there, then it'd be best to work it into your curriculum. However, if you plan to attend university where Germany isn't widely spoken, or Russian is, you should probably take Russian.

I know it seems weird to think so much about your future (if not, maybe it's just American students who don't think too much about our futures), but try to imagine what you want to study after IB. Then choose the courses that seem most applicable to that situation/college/subject.

• Like 1

I think I would even want to take German B HL. But as I head towards the universities in UK then it doesn't matter there whether I have studied German or Russian B. It is now olny matter of points. As I probably wouldn't handle 7 subjects :D, then I am thinking of still taking Russian B HL and studying German somewhere for money or for CAS lessons. Though it's going o be sad as I probably could learn German there pretty well too. Hate those decisionS :D

Guest Soiboist

Don't do Russian B HL if you're completely fluent obviously. I feel sorry for you if you go to school just for the grades and not for the learning. I mean, what will you do during those classes for two years? It's a complete waste of time. Also, won't your teacher wonder why you already know everything?

The problem when people does this is that the mark boundaries will be higher, causing other people to not get high grades, just because people that already know the language are taking the course. This is of course regulated by most schools, but it seems there are a few unprofessional ones that don't.

Yes,that was my thought also.. That I don\t want to be a person studying just for the grades. But I mean, if it would cost me getting into an university.. The teachers offered me that I could take German as 7th subject, but it would be just too hardcore :D. Well, I have two days left to decide..

I have to decide whether to take German B HL ( I have studied German for 3 years and have A-s and B-s) or Russian B HL which is my second mother language.

I know that on the exams of Russian I will succeed and get higher score than with German, because I don't believe I will be able to get 7 points in it. If I take Russian then it means I will have a bit more free time to concentrate on my two other HL subjects : Biology and Chemistry which are quite hard for me. But if I take German, then I will learn a new language. Dilemma :D

If russian is actually like *VERY* easy for you, then take 7 subjects, but German at SL. The workload won't be very noticeable if Russia is your mother tongue. I say this because even though Chinese isn't my mother tongue, Chinese B HL is still quite easy for me.

Anyway, I had the same problem between French and Mandarin. So I gave off my elective and took both.

I was also considered taking French lessons outside school for CAS hours, but I'm telling you: you won't have time.

If you really just want to KNOW German, take an online course that is self-paced. You won't get an IB certificate for it, but you'll learn German.

There are 2 options:

1) You can take all 7 subjects. Sit exams in all 7. Receive a diploma for the 6 in your diploma, and an "IB Certificate" for the German

2) You can take 7 subjects, but you only actually do IAs and sit exams in 6. This way you "audit" German, and learn German, without having to do any of the work.

Option 2 only works if your school will let you, and the schedule is free.

oh lol sorry b/c I thought you were taking both and were deciding which one should be HL and which one should be SL :P or maybe it was either German B HL or Russian B HL. thanks for confirming! :P

if I were you I'd take Russian B HL. I mean, it's your mother tongue! I prefer playing safe than risking my grades just to challenge myself.

have you heard that the Language B syllabus has changed? the new syllabus (for your batch :D) will require you to study works (i.e. read books). I am not sure to what extent you would need to analyse the books (as in like in Language A or not) but do you feel like reading German books? you need to read 3 books if I remember correctly; not sure though, will get back to you on this. I mean, if it's German Ab Initio I guess you'll ace it; but Language B isn't that easy. your vocab should be quite rich. it would help much if you are fluent in it both orally and written. I did try doing my native language (Indo) B HL paper last year (before IBDP) and scored a 7, almost 100%. I am sure you'll score a 7 in Russian B HL without studying, so go for it!

or is it possible for you to try both classes first and then drop one?

or if you really want to try German B HL, do ask your IB Coordinator whether you can change classes and when (usually in the first 3 months you can still change subjects). if you can, start with German B HL. and then if you don't like it, change to Russian B HL. catching up would be easy for you ;) or if you just love&enjoy German B HL then just continue with it :)

I don't mean to underestimate you and how well you speak German but I'm just sharing some info :) who knows if you'll change your mind :P

about 7 subjects, only 6 of those will be officially in your diploma course. the 7th will be an additional certificate.

Thank you all a lot for your answers :)

Yes I heard that language B syllabus had changed, but nobody actually said what had changed, so thank you for your information!

Oh god, reading in German would already take a loooot of time :D And I think yes it's safer to take Russian as main subject there. I talked to my former German teacher a few days ago and though she doesn't teach in IB she was willing to give me all of the material the rest of the non-IB class will be studying. She even agreed to give me one-to-one classes and give CAS hours for it if I wanted to.

And also I don't think that German would be so hard to learn by myself :)

Listen, I get your feelings for German and the problem you have. But IB is hard. I mean it. You need all the help you can give yourself, and I bet you have choosen one or two subjets that will give you a challenge. I definately think you should take Russian, (but choose A2 instead of B, because it is much more fun!) and do the German later on University, or maybe take a course outside school during one term and get CAS-points for it. If you go to Germany when you're done with IB and spend a year there you will speak fluently afterwards, no doubt. However, if you take German now it will be hard to do a subject you've only spent 3 years in no matter how good you are, and you might end up getting a 4 or worse. IB is a lot about puzzling together the courses to a perfect match that will give you a golden ticket too the future, both when it comes to choosing courses and essay topics. Be smart, be tactic. 3 points might make a huge difference later.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If I were you I would undoubtedly choose Russian, but A2. However, then it's not about language but more about literature. However, I give a damn about ambitions or new thrills. They can't provide me with successful future unless I try hard... IB is not for lazy, but why can't you once make your life easier? :)