CAS Action activities

a_xyzz

Hey guys,

I currently lack of action activities (the "A" in CAS). The only activity I do for action is going to the gym every week. But I'm asked to write regular journal on the activity. I have no idea what I should write, since I do exactly the same things everytime I go to the gym, while I can't write 10 identical journal entries! Any suggestion?

Also, can anybody help me come up with any other activity that belongs to the Action part in CAS? I can't join any team in school, since I pathetically suck at every sport and nobody wants me to join the teams :( .

Thanks you guy a lot

You could focus on different gym activities: lifting weights, cardio, etc.

Or you could (and probably would better off as far as CAS if you did) do more activities, such as swimming, running, biking. Something other than the gym. You could join a class at your gym; I know mine offers classes once a week in the afternoon. CAS is supposed to "allow you the opportunity to expand yourself as a person," so if you take a class at something you're new to, learn it, and become better at it, you'll be fulfilling the CAS journal easily, rather than doing something you've done for a couple months/years already.

I agree with Blue Alien! :agree: I joined the dance CCA and got 13.5 hours (all action, I purposely didn't put some hours as creativity, b/c I had too many C hours and was in need of A hours :P) and I think that's quite a lot of CAS hours :)

Do you really do exactly the same thing everytime you go to the gym? :blink: I think that should be okay, but you need to learn new things or maybe focus on different things each time you go there so you won't have exactly the same consecutive entries :P

Well you can learn some sports to get A hours. Or do some physical activities. In my school we had this charity project where we could get CAS hours as we were repainting the walls at a school (and donated a classroom) and decorated it, so that's a voluntary physical activity that requires creativity.

We also had a fund-raising marathon. I got 5 hours of Action from this activity so that's quite good too :)

• 3 weeks later...

I also go to the gym and I do pilates sometimes.

Maybe you could join a dancing,tennis etc class as stated above, or you can organize integrated projects(which I love) that involve action:

a work party to clean up the environment near your school

riding bikes to get attention to the rising CO2 levels

playing games with kindegarten children to encourage them about sports

a friend of yours who knows a specific sport(dance, aerobics etc) can organize classes for the IB-ers!

Edited by dreamingonacloud

• 2 weeks later...

I can't write 10 identical journal entries!

I noticed this in mine, too.

Here's what I did to resolve this issue.

1. Set a biweekly/monthly goal

ex) Increase 200 reps of ________ to 300.

2. Become a coach/assistant for your school team.

3. Use the school's weight room - if not join a fitness gym.

4. Go out and play some competitive sports with friends and enter competitions!

Make sure that whatever activity you do, you are able to provide a supervisor who is not related to you (so that there are no biased comments and such, and the IB/CAS coordinator will find their comments more rewarding anyway). Having said that, make sure that you ASK the person you have in mind to BE your surpervisor :P You do not want to be stuck in a sicky situation!!

Edit: Okay, so I edited this, then something happened and my commentary-like post was gone :(

I do not think that you need to write a journal entry for each time that you attend the gym. What you may want to do is:

1) Write a good description of what your goals are, and why you are aiming for them (this helps with your reflections/journals later on)

2) Instead of writing 10 journal entries, maybe do one every week, or when you have made any significant improvement, or non at all. If you say the latter, just briefly explain why you feel as if you did not meet your goal.

3) Write down the dates that you go to the gym/do any weekly activity (if it not on a fixed schedule). Then write down (type in), on ManageBac, your dates. Beside each one, write down what you worked on, specifically. And maybe something like "I added one more rep today for my upper body routine using this work out (inster workout name here). It targets my biceps and my second work out, (insert name here), works on my triceps. I added the extra rep because I felt as if I have made an improvement. I am able to do 3 full chin ups now instead of only 2 (3 weeks ago)...." And so on....

Edited by egr12resa