IB Math HL Big problem

student165

Okay so the big problem follows: Last year when I was starting the IB programme I had some family situations that were stopping me from staying on track in maths in school. They all got resolved 1 month ago, but the problem is that I am now left with 2 months to pass Mathematics HL in the May exams. Failure is not an option of course. I would like to ask all of you to help me make a plan of studying so I can make at least a good 4 on this exam (5 would be of course great).

Every suggestion, tip or hint would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Damn,just two months left. Textbook studying is out of the question now. You need to start working on past papers. If you can get the question-banks from '00 or even earlier the better. Try and do as many as you can. If you don't understand, only then can you go back to textbook. When you're doing the past-papers, don't do one paper at a time but instead do them chapter by chapter but leave a few, like '07-'10, untouched. When you're through with the chapters and you feel ready, now start doing the rest of the papers "as a whole", and time yourself. Treat them as real IB exams. At least, that's what we did in the our last two months.

• Like 2

Make a plan for yourself. Look at all the chapters you have to cover. Say that you'll cover a certain number of chapters by a certain day, and stick to it! Write down what you want to cover each day on a calendar or something. Note that it is already mid-March so you'll have to work very fast. I don't know how big the HL syllabus is but I assume it's quite big :o If you feel pressed for time, just work on the hardest chapters out of your textbook.

The most important part though is past paper practice. You can probably get some from your teacher if you ask for them. If you don't understand something, go back in your notes to try to figure out how to attack the question. If that doesn't work, ask a friend or a teacher how to do it the next day (or post your question in the Math help thread on IBS :D ).

It is imperative that you understand math as opposed to memorizing the solution (it's a bad habit that I have too).

Good luck! :gluck:

Edited by Summer Glau
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your answers, your help means a lot.

Next what I would like to ask is what topics appear the most on IB Maths HL papers? Algebra? Calculus? What would be most beneficial to give more attention then other?

IF you look at past papers, the topics which are almost always included in the Section B part are a combination of Integration, Complex Numbers, Trigonometry and Vectors (Matrices, Probability and Mathematical Induction do come up as well but are less common). Although different people find different topics harder, I think most people would struggle with integration and complex numbers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...