Statistical analysis help

IBraped

Have you tried combining columns or rows? If you combine two rows that are less than 5 they might give you values that are larger than five so you will be able to proceed. If you can't combine any columns or rows then the only test I think is the t-test. Remember try to combine as little rows or columns as possible.

Yeah thanks i was told that but i dont have enough columns and rows..

So if i did scatter plot, pearsons and then t-test, would that allow for a good IA?

If you can plot a scatter graph i can't see why you don't have enough rows or columns. Are most of the values below 5? Do you know how to use the t-test because I only uses it when a normal distribution is assumed. I also don't do maths studies so I can't comment on what a good IA contains. Sorry can only help this much, I'm sure someone else will help soon.

Yes. Most of my class did pearson's chi squared' and a linear line. That's enough mathematical calculation to get full points in the section of the rubric.

And you will need to group your data. If you have y values of...let's say 1, 2, 3.2, 2.4, 1.6, you can group it into 1>=y>5

(I'm going to assume they all came from the same x value) so that gives you an observed value of 5 for whatever x was. Chi Squared is based off frequency tables, the number of time the value that meets the group criteria occurs, not the individual data points :)

The 1->4 thing was me trying to get it to show that 1<=x<4

I just can't do that on excel and i'm too lazy to get into MS word too :P Hope this helps explain things. Chi Squared is hard to just explain without an actual example in my opinion :)

post-31095-0-07527500-1300204078_thumb.j

Yes. Most of my class did pearson's chi squared' and a linear line. That's enough mathematical calculation to get full points in the section of the rubric.

And you will need to group your data. If you have y values of...let's say 1, 2, 3.2, 2.4, 1.6, you can group it into 1>=y>5

(I'm going to assume they all came from the same x value) so that gives you an observed value of 5 for whatever x was. Chi Squared is based off frequency tables, the number of time the value that meets the group criteria occurs, not the individual data points :)

The 1->4 thing was me trying to get it to show that 1<=x<4

I just can't do that on excel and i'm too lazy to get into MS word too :P Hope this helps explain things. Chi Squared is hard to just explain without an actual example in my opinion :)

Great help thanks,

but does it work with those values less than 5..

Ive done the calculations and its exatly what i expected and what i knew the results would be but i was told chi shouldnt be used with values less than 5 because it becomes unreliable or inaccurate???

I've never been told that. Pretty sure mine had values less than 5 too and teacher said nothing about it. Let me go dig mines up and see what mine ended up looking like...been a while.

Yea. Mine had X and Y values under 5 and it worked fine and I wasn't told anything about unreliability.

Edited by Drake Glau

I've never been told that. Pretty sure mine had values less than 5 too and teacher said nothing about it. Let me go dig mines up and see what mine ended up looking like...been a while.

Yeah thanks, same the teacher never told me untill a friend told me and i asked. But i also saw it in writing in a maths book somewhere!

Anyways i think im just going to use chi-squared and get the maths over and done with- its long overdue and with exams in 7 weeks i should probably start studying :(.. (i know scary i havent started yet)

Most of my classes are still teaching us stuff and I haven't reviewed at all >.< But we tend to cram efficiently. Pretty sure for SL history a few of us crammed the whole curriculum into 1-2 days of review :D I'd advise not doing this if you enjoy sanity though. We lost ours already.

I have 10 weeks left of IB, dont u think ive lost my sanity already? :)

Hah. I'm hoping for a 7 in a couple classes but I doubt it'll happen. The SL physics mark scheme says a 7 is a 67%+ so that might happen. Only other chances are my HL bio and HL chem exams but I doubt I'll be able to remember everything and forget one thing that will cause a 6 =/