Portfolio Type II -- Filling up The Petrol Tank

kachinga

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days?

The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo ofthe IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg

I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. the normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW.

I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x petrolConsumed.

Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route)

therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy.

I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper.

The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

No, nobody can send you their IA or post it here. It is not permitted by the IBO. Here we can only guide you through it, not do the work for you. Please do not ask for the answers. You are not going to get them anyway. There is another thread on this IA so please consult it to help you solve the parts: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/16636-filling-up-the-petrol-tank/

• Like 3