What to expect in pre-ib grade 9 and the following years

TalhaMirza

Pre-IB is a peice of cake. Just pay attention in class, get assignments done on time and you will be fine, nothing to really stress about. The later years get a bit more stressful but to be honest you just adapt. For example, I go to a school where majority don't do IB, and you here them complain how they have 3 exams in exam block and a 600 word English Essay due the next week, and us IB people wonder what on earth they are complaining about because you just get use to a bigger workload. You'll be fine :)

Edited by Kiwiatheart
  • Like 1

i'll break it down for you.

9th and 10th grade are going to seem like a breeze because they're pre-IB. please, don't let them fool you.

the straight A's there will not carry over to 11th and 12th because the work is a little harder and there is a lot more of it.

if you're dead set on this pathway then you will do just fine.

what to expect:

a small, almost minuscule social life unless it's to study with friends.

challenging work.

more tests than you've ever had.

C's will be a good thing as far as grades go, so don't beat yourself up over it. :P be happy about it and know you can do better next time.

the friends you will make will be the best you've ever had. :D

be prepared to study, study, and oh, study.

i think that's about it.

just keep a positive attitude and know that it will be worth it at the end.

and, if possible, keep a calender/schedule; this will keep the stress level down.

good luck, grasshopper. :)

Edited by misfit
  • Like 1

umm, get ready to quit your video games, at least for the most part.

get money for your favourite coffee, if you're in full IB, prepare for a ton of all-nighters.

read all your textbooks in advance (yeah, even i dont do it, but if i could redo this year, i would.)

i dont know how your school's program goes, but if im lucky, i get 1-2 fridays a month with no homework.

so treasure those fridays and go to a party or two.

prepare to fail a test or two,warning you just in case, dont cry, it'll be standardized. i dont know about anyone else, but "standardization" saves my life.

follow your evaluation sheets exactly for any lab report you do, to the uttermost detail.

when you meet friends from grade 11-12, get one of their good labs and use it as a reff, it helps.

and most of all, dont procrastinate, which is the reason im staring at this page instead of doing my math IA :)

Grade 10 will be a piece of cake, the years after are *cough-insertswearhere-cough* yeah.

Good luck, have fun, and when you start regretting why you applied for IB,

comfort yourself by saying thousands more around the world are experiencing the same thing.

• Like 1

Don't worry so much about pre-IB :P Really the only subject that's very different from the academic program is math (and maybe science). The difference is that teachers will naturally expect more of you and you will be with (generally) smarter, more hard working people, which makes the standard a bit higher. You don't have to read your textbook every night to do well, just put in a decent amount of effort and you'll do fine. You don't have to pull all-nighters if you focus. Maybe you'll have to stay up late once in a while but certainly not all the time.

If you're not strong in math then you could try to brush up in math over the summer.

Just try out pre-IB and get a feel for it. If you don't like it and decide to drop it, there isn't much to lose.

Good luck! :)

Pre-IB isn't really much different from middle school. I guess your workload increases just a tiny amount more but honestly, I've never had trouble getting to bed at 10 and generally have at least a couple hours to kill each day, even if I get home at six. A lot of my Pre-IB friends regularly stay up past midnight on a daily basis but it's only because they procrastinate and wait until the last minute. Do your work, stay focused and enjoy yourself while you still can. :)