Lunar New Year

Ruan Chun Xian

Ok I know I can't be the only one who celebrates the Lunar New Year around here. It is aka the Chinese New Year but I deteste that term...I mean, it's not just the Chinese that celebrate it, you know. :P

Anyway, according to the countdown at my Vietnamese forum it's 11 days till the Lunar New Year and we've just changed to a bright red skin and it's putting me in a rather giddy mood (thus being awake at 4am - haven't slept yet).

So who does actually celebrate it and what do you do?

Somehow I don't think I'll be getting much money this year....pains of growing up. :D

well the Lunar new year is technically the Muslim new year as well, since the Islamic Calender is accordance to the moon. But I remember having that a few months ago :P

maybe there's a different count :D

they go to the Mosque on the new year btw :P

wel there are two Eid. Al fatir which is the day Ramadan ends, and it's the day they don't ahve to fast anymore; and Eid al Adha, which is which is when they have to sacrifice a sheep and give the meat to the poor. The new year is a bit after Eid al adha, I think like a month. My memory is rusty :P we had to take this for national studies btw which is the only reason I know it :D

maybe there's a different count

Yeah I think so. :P

Well the lunar new year (or Tet - thus the name for the Tet Offensive 1968 in the Vietnam War if you happen to take Cold War history /nerd) is the biggest deal here, literally the biggest festival of the year. It's all about family and visiting and eating :D . Actually I used to live around the flower market which is really beautiful this time of year (as well as crowded).

Guest PollyPeptide

Yep, 6th of Feb if I'm not completely mistaken

We don't do very much to celebrate it, it's in the middle of a week so no one really has time. We just make some more and better food than usual, watch the Chinese festival show on the internet, and just spend time together.

My mum asked me if I could take a day off from school because of the New Year.

Me: "No, I can't. I've got Physics and Chemistry that day, I can't miss those classes!"

wel there are two Eid. Al fatir which is the day Ramadan ends, and it's the day they don't ahve to fast anymore; and Eid al Adha, which is which is when they have to sacrifice a sheep and give the meat to the poor. The new year is a bit after Eid al adha, I think like a month. My memory is rusty :P we had to take this for national studies btw which is the only reason I know it :D

You know, I'm also a muslim yet I don't know much about my own religion while I do know a lot about the official religion of this country. It's really sad :P

But yes, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Happy New Year.

It's funny, I thought I was the only Muslim person on the board. Ah well, maybe I'm the only Paki. Anyway, Ramadan and the 2 Eids are separate, totally different Lunar Muslim Months. New Year is part of Muharram, which happens about a month after the Sacrificial Eid. I can go into details, but I'm not going to bore you, and this is a Lunar New Year thread :P

Oh my god. I am never going shopping at Metro Cash & Carry this near to the new year ever again! :P

I waited half an hour for a trolley while having my feet stamped on more times than I could count. My shopping took an hour (actually, make that I hung around the clothes department for an hour and did the rest of my shopping while my trolley was in line waiting for check out :P ). They have 25 cashiers. I waited 2 and a half hours for check out. That's how crowded it was.

• 2 weeks later...