Three Cups Of Tea

miller_USA

:gluck: So, what does everyone think of the book?

Has anyone ever read the book Three Cups Of Tea.? My history teacher, aka the snow god, recommended it last week and i'm already half way through. i absolutely love this book and it's fueled my need to travel everywhere and see everything (as if i wasn't already crazy with wanting to leave here). i absolutely love the vocabulary in this book there is one word in the first couple chapters that i've only ever seen used as an adjective or adverb, but this book uses it as a past tense verb and i think it looks so cool

Edited by miller_USA

The book itself was less-than-spectacular; the story, however, was quite inspiring. North Americans like you and I see only what happens in North America--what the effects are on North America; we don't see the pain and suffering in the war-zone countries: this new perspective I gained from reading the story was what I appreciated most about it.

Where, exactly, would you like to travel? This aforementioned new perspective didn't make me want to go there as it did you, but I would love to help from Canada. The only place I've ever wanted to travel to is England--it's almost unhealthy how much I want to be there. :P

i would love to travel everywhere pretty much but i would like to see at least some part of the middle east in person. i'm really intrested in the region and its religions and people. i would love to be able to go over there or somewhere in the same state of being and be able to make some sort of difference, even if it isn't on Mortenson's scale...

Mm, I agree that the people there seem to be so different--in a positive way, for the most part. They're so passionate about their family, culture, religion. I sometimes think that we could all take a page out of their book.

Ah, a fellow wanna-be-theologist? :blush: My favourite part of History class is learning about the creation of different religions, what they believe, what is their basis. The wars and other conflicts brought on by these religions are even more fascinating.

Ah, nice. That'd be fascinating--I quite love the quantum and nuclear physics topics of the curriculum, perhaps even more so than chemistry and biology (I want to be a cardiologist).

So what other books have you read recently? Any good ones? My school exams are this week, so I haven't had the chance to read very much--plus we're starting The Makioka Sisters for English, so I'll have to read that first. :\ My one complaint about IB English--I don't get time to read the books I want to read, not just the ones I have to read. :)

Kite Runner sounds remarkably familiar.. It seems to me that someone has recommended that to me, as well. I'll have to look into it. What other novels/plays have you read for your English classes, just out of curiosity?

I haven't read Stones into Schools, because it seemed to be it'd be similar to the point of boring. Pray let me know if it isn't. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ahhhhhh i loved this story! i found it so inspiring and it really made me think how blessed i am to be receiving a great education. my friend and i actually are doing a CAS project to raise money for Central Asia Institute. we had a garage sale and now we're planning a hike-a-thon. reading this book certaintly opened my eyes.