Help with Studying

pandabear

I'm a bit lost when it comes to approaching my science subjects. Both of my teachers in Chemistry and Biology are ones that expect you to learn independently. This is especially hard in Chemistry since I'm almost completely new to it. Up to this point I've only barely been passing and I need to do something about it. Just need alot of recommendations in terms of a systematic process that'll help me learn the material properly that I can use for the next three terms of Ib. How to take/structure notes, how to practice etc. Be specific and Thanks!

I would suggest that your notes be titled by sections from the book, or sections you make up to better organize it in your head. don't just write facts, write how each one is important. If you write out a definition, write reasons, examples, draw pictures etc. For mathematical based question, practice practice practice is all I can say. Get a whole bunch of similar questions and go through them frequently... Make sure your notes are very tidy and systematic, you want to be as concentrated as possible and have them as organized as possible. Also, before you begin doing mathematical based problems, make sure you know the theories/definitions by heart, but also understand what it is you know my heart. Than move on to the mathematical based questions, it will make more sense when solving them because you will understand why it is you are doing the steps you are doing.

As you will notice there is no specific book that is made just for IB. Most are just suitable for IB. Therefore to actually narrow done your studies I advice you to go according to the syllabus. Make your notes according to the syllabus. Reason why? well examiner's aren't going to test you on anything outside the syllabus, plan simple :)

By the way in most subjects its advisable to ready further to grasp the concept and for completeness. SO after making notes take time to read other books to go into a little more detail

• Like 1

^^ What the user above said :gluck:

Work through the syllabus point by point and invest in the Course Companion books which are designed exactly for the syllabus. Absolutely everything you need to know and nothing more or less is in those. Once you've worked through them, you should be all set for the exams -- especially in Biology. For Chemistry you might want to practice on some past papers as well, because calculations and applying your knowledge is tricky!

I am not taking Bio so I can't comment much on that.

I don't really agree with 2nd poster because I never write notes (in any class) unless it's not in the textbooks, study guides, nor in the handouts that my teachers gave. I do only if my teachers write something on the board.

When your teacher is going through your textbook/study guide/handout, please highlight the important points and the definitions. This makes it easier when you study for tests/exams. If you don't understand anything, just ask or you'll regret this when test/exam comes and you don't understand anything. I would like to remind you that asking teachers is much better than asking friends. Sooo yeah...

And yes Chemistry is hard. I hate Chem, too. Haha. If your basic is not that strong, I recommend you reading some IGCSE Chemistry books. I took IGCSE last year and it's quite helpful indeed in terms of the background, regardless of the quite huge jump. I can recommend some books if you are interested :) or practise with past IGCSE questions -- they are available on the net with the marking schemes. If you can do those, you should be more confident now.

That happens. Everybody but 1 student in my Chem class took IGCSE Chemistry. That one student never passed and never understood anything. Then my teacher gave him extra tuition -- teaching him the IGCSE stuffs and now he is doing much better :) once he passed a test and we all were very happy :sadnod:

Oh anyway, and I never tried studying the syllabus but I heard that's a good method, too. Many people do that.

When it's a semester more to your real exams, I really suggest doing past IB papers so you will know the type of questions that usually come up :gluck:

How to study: read up your textbooks AND study guides AND handouts

How to practise: just practise lah? do textbook questions or something

I am not taking Bio so I can't comment much on that.

I don't really agree with 2nd poster because I never write notes (in any class) unless it's not in the textbooks, study guides, nor in the handouts that my teachers gave. I do only if my teachers write something on the board.

When your teacher is going through your textbook/study guide/handout, please highlight the important points and the definitions. This makes it easier when you study for tests/exams. If you don't understand anything, just ask or you'll regret this when test/exam comes and you don't understand anything. I would like to remind you that asking teachers is much better than asking friends. Sooo yeah...

And yes Chemistry is hard. I hate Chem, too. Haha. If your basic is not that strong, I recommend you reading some IGCSE Chemistry books. I took IGCSE last year and it's quite helpful indeed in terms of the background, regardless of the quite huge jump. I can recommend some books if you are interested :( or practise with past IGCSE questions -- they are available on the net with the marking schemes. If you can do those, you should be more confident now.

That happens. Everybody but 1 student in my Chem class took IGCSE Chemistry. That one student never passed and never understood anything. Then my teacher gave him extra tuition -- teaching him the IGCSE stuffs and now he is doing much better :( once he passed a test and we all were very happy XD

Oh anyway, and I never tried studying the syllabus but I heard that's a good method, too. Many people do that.

When it's a semester more to your real exams, I really suggest doing past IB papers so you will know the type of questions that usually come up :P

How to study: read up your textbooks AND study guides AND handouts

How to practise: just practise lah? do textbook questions or something

Could you please recommend some books =)?