Henry Morton Stanley

Krypto-23

Hey can anyone help and tell me what I can write on Henry Morton Stanley in African History. I am supposed to write my History I.A and have it done this week. Someone help!!!

Or someone can help suggest another topic that might be related to Scramble for Africa!! Please help. It is urgent

Hey can anyone help and tell me what I can write on Henry Morton Stanley in African History. I am supposed to write my History I.A and have it done this week. Someone help!!!

Or someone can help suggest another topic that might be related to Scramble for Africa!! Please help. It is urgent

We can't give you a topic, you need to come up with on on your own, but since you have narrowed your topic down to a person: Morton Stanley and an event: the Scramble for Africa, now all you need to do is brainstorm different controversial issue concerning your chosen person. Make a list of controversial topics, and choose one you are most interested in investigating, than go online and see if you can find any primary or secondary sources on the issue. Once you find something, you can always com back on ibsurvival and get other peoples' opinions on the scope of your chosen topic.

So if I did something like "To what extent was the Scramble for Africa as a result of Stanley's discovery of the Congo?" is that ok

It sounds interesting but a bit open and the debate although clearly there could be perhaps too obvious. I have no idea what this part of history is about but let me pretend i know.

basically you'd be saying British expeditioner went to Congo and wanted it to be mandated to the British colony. King Leopold said I want 'a nice piece of that African cake' and placed a bid for Belgian colonialism. So the debate is basically absent and it is just yes he did start the scramble for africa as france and belgian clearly had interests there and the race began, as a results zair congo(belgian) and Brazzaville(Congo) French were annexed to their respective empires.

You should look more at the results/consequences of the scramble for africa. There is just so much more to say if you talk about how events created something. More debate is generated.

I am clearly very clueless about african history but I hope you get the gist of what I mean.

Edited by Bishup

That sound okay but if I were you, I might elaborate it like "To what extent did Stanley and other mission like Dr living stone scramble in sharing power/territory with Belgian king in Congo?...In that way you can stay neutral in your discussion and can discuss more about natural resources.

So if I did something like "To what extent was the Scramble for Africa as a result of Stanley's discovery of the Congo?" is that ok

Hmm... I would reword it: "To what extent was the Scramble of Africa a result of explorer Henry Morton Stanley?" but you don't have to do that...

but... can you tell me three distinct, polarized arguments on this topic?

For instance: "It was entirely Stanley's fault because reason 1, reason 2, reason 3, etc." and "Stanely was only patially responsible for the S for A because reason 1, 2, 3, etc." and "Althoug often blamed, Stanely was not responsible at all for the S to A because reason 1, 2, 3, etc."

If you have 2-3 different arguments you can find from historians, like the simple examples above, than that means there are 2-3 distinct ways of looking at Stanley's role. Therefore, it is a good topic. If you can one get 1 argument, than well, I'd keep looking for a different topic. If one argument only exists, that people commonly adopt that argument and do not question it.