factors affecting cell transportation

simplisticwonders

Is it a bad thing that I didn't run my trial 5 times?

Or could that just get put in evaluation...

my teacher approved a plan in which i measured my data every 30 minutes for 2.5 hours, not one in which i did the same thing 5 times, if that made any sense.

My teacher is of no help. She gave us a poor copy of the rubric and an even more poor copy of a sample lab report.

Did you do any repeats? They do accept "more repeats" as an improvement suggestion, but they do expect you to have proven your data reliable in the first place which will have required repeating at least a bit. Generally 3 repeats giving similar-ish results is good enough -- maybe more if your results are haywire, but you should definitely try and do at least 3. 5 is slight overkill.

She wanted us to have 25 pieces of data.

I do not have enough materials to run my trial again; I bought what I thought I needed.

And then we were hit with 6 inches of snow in South Carolina. We haven't had this much snow in ten years. Because of snow I haven't been to school this week. or left the house for that matter.

so I'm using what I have.

Do we have to put error bars on our graphs? I was never taught now to do those.

How do you do error bars in excel?

The complete fulfillment of aspect 3 doesnot require students to draw lines of minimum or maximum fit to the data points, to include error bars or to combine errors through root mean squared calculations

But i know that you should include your uncertainities in the graph, it can be in the axis titles.

But for your other subjects, you can draw error bars by this method:

1- After drawing the graph, you press layout button from graph catagory

2- there is an option called error bars

3- you put the type of error bars that you want , percentage or value

After drawing the graph, you press layout button from graph catagory

I'm guessing this is Excel 2007/2010?

I'm currently using 2003.

Read through the file that i attach, it contains much information about using excel 2003, read pg.27 for error bars.

But in brief:

1- select your graph.

2-- press format

3- choose selected data series

4- a box will appear give you different options about axis and type of error bar.

34Excel2003Charts.pdf

She wanted us to have 25 pieces of data.

I do not have enough materials to run my trial again; I bought what I thought I needed.

And then we were hit with 6 inches of snow in South Carolina. We haven't had this much snow in ten years. Because of snow I haven't been to school this week. or left the house for that matter.

so I'm using what I have.

If you didn't do any repeats (I assume that by 25 different pieces of data you mean 25 different scenarios, rather than that some of them are multiple tests of the same conditions) then I would strongly advise you to try and do another IA to get in a better method/results section at some point, though I understand why you can't do it this time :) It'll help you get better marks, is all. It's just considered bad science otherwise.

Of course, unless your teacher knows that you didn't do it for sure, there's probably very little harm in 'inventing' repeats with slightly different variants of data.

If you mean include all of the error measurement maths, then I'd say yes. It's probably not essential but there's no harm in it.

Do I have to show my math?

Sorry for the question overload and thank you for those who answer.

In data processing if you use any formula (i mean a real formula, not simple ones), you should do a sample example, to show how you did it. You should not do it for all data,only one sample, or you can do it by external source. Your calculations should include uncertainities calculation.

Edited by inm