#3 Examine the claim that it is possible to attain knowledge despite problems of bias and selection using history and at least one other AoK

bina2398

In one part of my essay I am talking about how perspective can create bias in history. I mentioned how different perspectives can give different views of the same event using an example of two documents I used in my EE that contradicted each other. For a counterclaim I discussed unreliable perspectives and how that can limit what kind of information a source contains or whether we can even consider that source because of the unreliability of its source. So then I started thinking about my own personal perspectives and how that makes me look at historical documents, and if I had some sort of personal/family/ancestral connection to an event that would change how I would see the event, or if I would event want to study the event. And if that made me biased would I still get knowledge out of the source, and if so how would I have to deal with that so that I can still attain knowledge?

Is this a valid way to approach this, or should I abandon/change this approach to my essay?

That sounds valid, though it is perhaps best to consult your ToK teacher about that.

Hi, I'm (my teacher) thinking of using physics as my AOK, and i was hoping on getting some tips as I'm pretty thick when it comes to TOK.

Hmm....Our teacher said it would be dangerous to stray into the sciences, and that an easier and safer response would stick to the humanities (Human sciences)

It says to "attain knowledge" in the title. Does that mean 100% accurate knowledge, or just knowledge to a certain degree of accuracy. Or is that open to interpretation, and I should make it clear how I interpreted that in my introduction.

Define what you mean by knowledge in your introduction, since people can interpret knowledge in different ways. It's good to avoid ambiguity in your paper.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I am also doing topic number three. Can one of you guys please help me define bias and selection.

In this topic it says 'attain knowledge' ... what would that mean? :headchop:

:surrender:Thank you so muc :surrender:

Bias is being prejudiced towards a certain side or person. This can either be biased for a side (i.e. an alumnus of Harvard would think Harvard is better than any other university because they liked it or went there) or against a side. Selection is picking and choosing certain bits of information while excluding others. Attaining knowledge just means that you can get knowledge from it.

At least that's how I defined it in my essay, as I did this title as well.

:)

Do I need to cite events or evidence in my paper? My teacher said that we didn't necessarily need to, but I need some confirmation on this as he's not very familiar with the specifics of ToK. He said that the paper needs several personal connections. About how many personal connections are ideal? Also, should I include an AoK other than History and science? Is more "better"?

Do I need to cite events or evidence in my paper? My teacher said that we didn't necessarily need to, but I need some confirmation on this as he's not very familiar with the specifics of ToK. He said that the paper needs several personal connections. About how many personal connections are ideal? Also, should I include an AoK other than History and science? Is more "better"?

What do you mean by citing events? Do you mean like finding a statistic or a case where this has happened before? If so, you can talk about it but provide a link to the website or book you got it from.

Yes you need to show personal involvement, also known as "knower's perspective" with your TOK essay, and a great way to do this is by having personal examples. There is no minimum or maximum number of personal connections you need. Don't put only like one example in there, but don't have like 3/4 of your essay personal examples with no explanation of how this relates to your argument. I think in mine I had three or four.

Limit yourself to about three AOKs, because the word limit isn't very high and you need to evaluate this claim in several areas thoroughly and doing too many will spread yourself thin. History is a good one (plus it's required :P ), and with science this is split into human sciences and natural sciences, each being their own AOK. You can do both if you like.

:)

issue? is the fact that it is taught from perspectives and viewpoints an issue? if so why may this become an issue? are viewpoints bad to obtain knowledge in history? do they hinder it? how do we actually obtain knowledge in history? also are some viewpoints more valuable than others?

think about some of these ideas