Internal Resistance

iMesmerized

Hey guys,

I have a problem with the design lab report which I was assigned for Physics SL.

The assignment is to design a lab which "tests changes in internal resistance of a battery in different circumstances". I asked the teacher and she said it could be both internal (within the circuit) and external factors.

I basically could only think about an external temperature as being the dependent variable, which would be relatively easy to control as well (using a fridge/oven).

Could you guys point me in the direction of any internal factors which would change the internal resistance of a battery?

Much appreciated :-)

Hey..

it could be great if could elaborate more... but whatever i could think of... can different batteries be an example... different cells have different solutions and concentration.. and there are also different cells like AAA and AA etc... you could use a variety of them and see the resistance the offer.... and for different circumstances... temperature is definitely the one which affects the most.. but also the radius and length of the wire, play quite a significant role.

Hope this helps!

Temperature could be one, but so could current, or voltage. All 3 of them affect resistance. Voltage causes current which cause temperature. As the current increases temperatures will increase too (this is your lightbulb getting hot for example). So you could simply test the change of the current that is being sent through the circuit. Other than temperature I don't see much you can control that would change the internal resistance of a cell, they are usually pretty set and don't change most of the time o.O