#1 Knowledge is generated through the interaction of critical and creative thinking. Evaluate this statement in two areas of knowledge.

Gaurang Kumar

can anybody give an example of how one generates knowledge through both critical and creative thinking?

We reach insights as we coming to new ways of approaching things. Creative thinking, is the embodiment, (or so I would think) to looking at things at a new perspective. That will give you something new, while critical thinking, the ability to think deeply, analytically, and reflectively will take that new information, and go deeper.

Have you heard of the light argument, that might be interesting to you: whether it is a wave is a wave or a particle?

We reach insights as we coming to new ways of approaching things. Creative thinking, is the embodiment, (or so I would think) to looking at things at a new perspective. That will give you something new, while critical thinking, the ability to think deeply, analytically, and reflectively will take that new information, and go deeper.

so creative thinking comes before critical thinking?

Have you heard of the light argument, that might be interesting to you: whether it is a wave is a wave or a particle?

nope, what is this shi... argument all about?

so creative thinking comes before critical thinking?

nope, what is this shi... argument all about?

Well not necessarily. I did some research on Google, and it says that creative thinking is the process you take when you come up with a new idea, or think outside the box. The importance of critical thinking, on Wikipedia, is this:

"Critical thinking is considered important in the academic fields because it enables one to analyze, evaluate, explain, and restructure their thinking, thereby decreasing the risk of adopting, acting on, or thinking with, a false belief. However, even with knowledge of the methods of logical inquiry and reasoning, mistakes can happen due to a thinker's inability to apply the methods or because of character traits such as egocentrism. Critical thinking includes identification of prejudice, bias, propaganda, self-deception, distortion, misinformation, etc. Given research in cognitive psychology, some educators believe that schools should focus on teaching their students critical thinking skills and cultivation of intellectual traits."

So I would say that creative thinking comes before critical thinking when it comes to new discoveries. (e.g. Scientists come up with new experiments, if they did not bother to think "what if I did this...?" several hundred times, they may not have come up with those few successes in their gazillion experiments. It's kinda of like trial and error) I would then think that critical thinking alone can only extract the truth from what information is given. People acquire knowledge through new ideas, and when these new ideas present results, critical thinking allows you to get all the good stuff. As for the interaction part, I bet you can say that these two types of thinking work together to generate knowledge.

The light argument was a controversy in the past, discussing whether or not light was a wave of a particle. (it was Newton against someone else...) By looking at things in different perspective, they were both able to come up with what light really was. Look it up! I half remember this from my physics class.

Edited by Pickles

Paraphrasing from Wikipedia +my own thoughts

Critical thinking is more slanted towards an interpretation, through careful analysis of many factors and aspects, to reach a logical, supported conclusion of a piece of information. Critical thinking occurs everywhere at anytime in regards to something that is given to you. I'm sure you have read the Wikipedia article by now, if you haven't you might find a couple ideas from it.

I would not saying writing a literature piece satisfies the definition of critical thinking; I would even say it's more of a creative process.

• Like 1

i want to create an example for the intro... perhaps i can say i have to make a history poster with my partner. i like to draw but i'm not very knowledgeable in history, and then my partner is a history buff but cannot draw. then we worked together etc where i play as a creative thinker and my partner plays as a critical thinker... how's that? my doubt though is that it's more like two AOKs interacting, not critical and creative thinking interacting :( is there any example where i could make something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

is it necessary to discuss the ways of knowing at all? it's not being asked in the title. if yes, do we need to cover all 4 ways of knowing?

Yes you will need to base your argument around the ways of knowing, how they contribute to critical thinking, creative thinking or both. No you will not have to include all the ways of knowing, some of them may be irrelevant to this title. Moreover, it would make your essay too shallow; it is always better to go in-depth than to cover numerous aspects.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ONLY CRITICAL THINKING : History , Politics , Psychology , ethics.

CREATIVE THINKING : Arts , (I think philosophy as well).

New to this so please forgive me if this post turns out weird.

This probably also answers the question about is there any AOK that only uses critical thinking and only uses creative thinking.

There is no such thing as both types of thinking used independently. When a scientist creates an experiment, he has to use creative thinking for that to happen. To evaluate whether or not the experiment he thought of will address his/her hypothesis, critical thinking is used.

In the case of art, most artist initially use creative thinking to think of the idea. After the development of the idea, the artist thinks critically to see whether or not the art work is possible, the the idea portrays the idea he/she wishes to portray and so on.

Critical thinking and creative thinking are two different modes of thinking yet depend on each other for any knowledge to be gained.

I.e. history, politics, psychology and ethics do not only require critical thinking

art and philosophy (definitely philosophy) do not only require creative thinking

Edited by Alice Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

I am in the midst of writing an essay on this title as well. I don't think any of the AoK's ONLY fall in creative or critical... I think both are necessary.

But what I am having problems with are the KI's... Could they be as simple as asking where knowledge comes from? Or do they need to be more complicated than that? Also, how direct should our treatment of knowledge issues be? Should it be posed as a question, with a very straightforward answer? Or is it a more subtle treatment?

Thanks!

Do you guys think history should belongs to critical or creative thinking..?

In my opinion I would say is critical but I saw some people suggested that it is creative thinking

why:0

I think it is both. Historians would think critically to put events in order, but they would think creatively to approach situations from different viewpoints, right?