Help please

chileanbob

Hello... I'm a junior in high school and I've got a few questions (since I'm new to the forum as well as IB)...

I am currently taking:

French B HL

Math Studies SL

TOK (not testing class)

European History HL

Biology SL

English A1 HL

Psychology SL

and my exams are in May 2008...

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to any places were I can obtain previous IB exams for FREE for the above-mentioned courses. Also, I was planning on taking Psych HL and French SL (I feel that I'd much rather get say a 5 in French in SL than risking getting a 3 on HL and jeopardizing my diplomma chances).

Are these exams particularily hard?

I recently did my IOP for English and received a 17/30. How bad is that going to influence my chances for getting atleast a 4 on my English HL?

What are the typical amount of points awarded for a TOK/EE addition to the diplomma score. Is it difficult or rare to get the points? Are the IB graders that strict with the TOK/EE's? (My TOK teacher showed us an assessed exemplar of a TOK essay and it seemed rather mediocre; it actually received 38/40!)

Any other comments are appreciated.

=]

Thanks in advance!

Your teachers should have access to past exams.

The TOK essay you're talking about, is it one titled "“Truth is that to which the community ultimately settles down” (Charles Peirce). Analyse and evaluate this claim" from the TOK Teacher Support Material? Because if it is, that is a really good essay - TOK-wise. It might seem a little confusing on first read but it addresses a lot of TOK issues which is ultimately what the TOK essay is supposed to do.

About French, if you are keeping up with an HL class then you should do fine in SL.

For EE it really depends on what subject you write your EE in. Some subject are easier to get high marks than other (supposedly, but I just think that it's not the subject themselves but the nature of the EE that is slightly less compatible with the subject).

Psych HL - stick around, get VIP status (to download the notes obviously) and you should get plenty of Psych help here. :P *coughDeuscough*

The IOP - 17/30 is probably a 4. If you do well in the final exam, the world lit essays, actually you have very good chances of a 4 or higher in your final grade. The IOP is only worth 15% of your final grade.

Math Studies should be a breeze. History HL is heavy on material but not impossible to do well on.

A lot of tricks about the IB kind of dwindles down to following their marking criteria, know what examiners look for and give them that.

Hang on...you can't be a junior and take your exams in May 08...that's in 4 months! Did you mean 09?

Hang on...you can't be a junior and take your exams in May 08...that's in 4 months! Did you mean 09?

i don't know if this happens outside of the US but i know when i was in FL i was going to test out of two of my SL classes as a junior, and then the rest when i was a senior. classes would only last a semester, so basica,,y it was finish two years of school in year, so we were able to test out of subjects after only "a year"

Guest iber2468

From your post, I get the notion that you think IB exams are comparable to SATs or APs. I think they're a lot more different. It's really hard to get a complete grasp of IB exams and students agonize over it.

Well, I currently attend a high school in South Florida and I'm taking the HLs (English, History, and either French/Psych.) in May of 2009 and the SLs (Math Studies, Psych/French) this year in May.

Oh and I was also curious to know how many posts and/or what are the other requirements that are necessary to view those VIP only pdf files?

Oh and I was also curious to know how many posts and/or what are the other requirements that are necessary to view those VIP only pdf files?

50 posts. Bear in mind, however, that this means useful posts. If you simply post to get VIP, you won't get it. You can also contribute to IB Survival in other means, such as submitting files and help. However, do not submit any work that has not yet been evaluated.

Well, I currently attend a high school in South Florida and I'm taking the HLs (English, History, and either French/Psych.) in May of 2009 and the SLs (Math Studies, Psych/French) this year in May.

Ah anticipate.

I would advice you to take French SL this May then. It's more usual to do Language B anticipated since I assume, it's easier to speed up learning languages than a group 3 subject. Also the IA for French B is only the orals whereas for psych you might want all the time you can get to perfect it, especially if you're doing Maths Studies anticipated as well.