#5 'What is it about theories in the human sciences and natural sciences that makes them convincing?'

Eydie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Outré

If you read the title, it ask what's convincing, not what are the limitations. So, your approach is not the most correct one :)

Personally, if I was doing this title, I'd choose Biology and for example, History.

All you have to do, is to give reasons why people might tend to believe in biological theories and in historical theories through means such as models or scientific/history communities, etc

If you read the title, it ask what's convincing, not what are the limitations. So, your approach is not the most correct one :)

Personally, if I was doing this title, I'd choose Biology and for example, History.

All you have to do, is to give reasons why people might tend to believe in biological theories and in historical theories through means such as models or scientific/history communities, etc

To correct that, History is not a human science. It is a seperate area of knowledge.

I've been considering that topic myself, and would also like to point out that when compared to each other, the human sciences are less convincing than the natural sciences due to the uncontrolled factors that humans exhibit.

First thought, I think the "convincing" part of these theories is that they involve using the basic scientific method.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I'm trying to think of properties unique to the human sciences that makes their theories believable.

I've thought up of the idea that people can more easily relate to the human more than the natural sciences and are more understanding and sympathetic towards human science theories than the natural science theories.

My TOK teacher, however, finds this uninteresting.

Any ideas or comments on what makes the human sciences theories convincing?

And please don't say scientific research gives evidence in presentation, etc, because I've already included that.

So I'm a little bit stuck. At first I was thinking using Waldorf Education (based on Steiner's theory of child development) to use as my example for a human science. However, I find myself getting stuck when i have to explain why it is convincing. Maybe this is not such a good example? What do you think? Any ideas of another theory? 'Cause I fail to come up with anything at the moment :/

• 2 months later...