Abolition of slavery in US

dufka

OK, finally i came up with my topic , it is: To what extent did the Emancipation Proclamation Act of 1863 contribute to the abolition of slavey in the US?

What do you think? Is is good?

I think this can be an excellent topic. There is so much you can write about with this seeing as yes it was a major contribution the abolition of slavery.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great topic it is pretty darn clear that the proclamation lead to the abolition since that's what it entailed. You should take an event that occured in the US such as a revolt or a war or a policy change which might topple some sort of balance of power as to lead to the proclamation. The proclamation was just a piece of paper that said yes it has been abolished so your question as it stands is very poor must I say. Follow my advice and you'll be swirling due to pure and utter joy.

PS: Think of a topic which comprises a debate not a simple yes and no but more of a to what extent. Take into consideration different view points for your sources.

But the Emancipation Proclamation was more of a political/military ploy than a document that freed slaves. it affected slaves that were in the Union and not in the Confederacy, and the point was to try to get these "freed" slaves to fight for the Union, if I remember correctly. Lincoln's main goal in issuing the Proclamation was not for the welfare of the slaves, so if you're still interested in the topic, you could look at it from another angle. And while the Proclamation did proclaim some slaves free, it was a piece of paper that was not very well regarded in half the nation, so if you argue it a certain way, I'd be interested in reading just how influential the Emancipation Proclamation was [or was not] in abolishing slavery in the US.

• Like 1

Didn't the Emancipation Proclamation also serve to keep European Powers from coming to the aid of the Confederacy?

My history teacher told me that, at first, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't due anything since many of the confederate states weren't under the DIRECT control of the Union.

border states - slave states which did not declare their secession from the United States before April 1861. Four slave states never declared a secession: Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri, and four others did not declare secession until after the 1861 Battle of Fort Sumter: Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia — after which, they were less frequently called "border states".

Lincoln's 1863 Emancipation Proclamation did not apply to the border states. Missouri, Maryland, and West Virginia all abolished slavery during the war. In Kentucky and Delaware, the 40,000 or so remaining slaves were emancipated by the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment in December 1865.

yes joeguff !! you are right ! i also read that the Confederacy didnt want Lincoln to become a president and maybe he wanted to do something so that Confederacy would start to like him , anyway, what do you think about that topic?

I think that the possibility of a Republican being elected to the presidency angered the slave-owning states. So that lead to developments in the secession of South Carolina, etc.

I think that with the two topics you presented, you are on a road to a good topic. Just try to create a topic that's appropriate to use for your IA. For example, you could try to investigate the role of the ideologies of the Republican and Democratic parties in concern to how it led to abolition or the civil war.

If you want to focus on slavery, a good topic would be on deciding whether the territories in the west would be "slave states" or "free states." If you wanted something specific, try looking at the "Kansas-Nebraska" act, and it's consequences.

That's only a jumping off point. What I gave you can help you find a good topic (Hopefully :P)Remember to investigate this for yourself. You don't want to be stuck with something you don't want lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

but what about my first one - To what extent did the Emancipation Proclamation Act of 1863 contribute to the abolition of slavey in the US?

i think it's good because it didnt free all slaves. it was just a mere beginning. finally 13th amendment freed all slaves.

do you think this one is bad?

Hmm, I'll have to look into it first to give you a good answer. It's been a year since I studied that stuff lol.

As of now, I think the EP helped indirectly.

I think that your topic is usable, you just need a little rephrasing. :P

If I find anything new, I'll message you. :)

dufka, I think you may have found a good topic :) but just be careful with establishing what the Emancipation Proclamation actually did. More importantly, don't let your topic devolve into a "Spider Web" or "Octopus" linking too many irrelevant things together. You will need to link things together, but tread carefully.

Good luck. :)

Edited by Desy ♫