IA Time Limit

Ashta

Does anyone else have this problem?

My teacher gives us less than the allotted 10 days, giving us somewhere in the range of 6-8.

This is very frustrating for me because I could really use the extra couple days!

Is she technically allowed to due this?

Yes, she is. According to IB, the teacher is allowed to give you 3-10 days time on the IA.

• Like 1

Why is that? It really seems unfair. Obviously, the schools that give longer amounts of time get better scores than those who only give three days. It seems ridiculous, actually.

I really don't think so. My teacher only gave us 7 days instead of 10, and to be fair most people did all of their work the day before. If you worked a couple of hours every night for three days I'm pretty sure that doing a Maths IA successfully would be entirely possible -- you should have about 8 hours of free time (that is, time not spent sleeping or at school) every day.

Edited by Cynthia

Haha, I guess that's where we differ. I don't really have that much free time once you calculate in all the other homework and activities, et cetera.

There's just aspects of the IA (for me, anyway) that I need to spend a lot of time on, take a break from, and revisit with a fresh outlook.

Haha, I guess that's where we differ. I don't really have that much free time once you calculate in all the other homework and activities, et cetera.

There's just aspects of the IA (for me, anyway) that I need to spend a lot of time on, take a break from, and revisit with a fresh outlook.

I said; time that you don't spend sleeping or at school :P With IAs you need to prioritize, there shouldn't be that much stuff that you absolutely have to do unless you are working - if you do have so many activities that you simply don't have enough time then you have a bit of a problem. Even if you need breaks a week should definitely be enough!

We got 8-10 days as well. As we have two Maths Higher classes the only particularly unfair thing was that one teacher counted weekends as days whereas the other didn't and therefore one group of students got 8 (me and 13 other fellas) and the other group got 10 actual days. Other than that I thought 10 days was okay because we spent lesson time on this IA as well and if it had gone on for longer we might have improved our coursework a bit. To put it in perspective if you spend 14 days on it you may be able to achieve an extra 5 % of the 100% making it 95 % of your capability but you would just be spending too much time on an IA instead of investing it in other things...

Does anyone else have this problem?

My teacher gives us less than the allotted 10 days, giving us somewhere in the range of 6-8.

This is very frustrating for me because I could really use the extra couple days!

Is she technically allowed to due this?

Our Biology teacher said 4 was IB rules I feel cheated of 6 days :P . She usually gives us the weekend though :):P

• 6 months later...