Chemistry HL vs Chemistry SL

just_a_student

Yes the difference is not one you could ignore. If you do not need chem HL for whatever you want to study, then don't do it.

Your chance of doing good is much higher in chem SL. Besides, HL needs time and attention, so unless you need it for uni, it will be a pain in the neck, unless you are a huge chem nerd..then go ahead.

That being said, chem HL is much more interesting, and the only reason I found it okay is that the HL parts made SL parts more understandable, then again, I needed chem HL for uni.

Hey, I believe HL sciences are much harder than SL. I did Chemistry SL and Biology HL and got a 7 in both. However, Biology required DAYS and DAYS of studying + lab reports. I've been told that Chemistry HL is the hardest science (I'm not acquainted with the syllabus so I can't tell) so it's up to you. If you are aiming at an overall high mark I would say stick to SL since if you study well you can surely get a 7.

I strongly recommend you to put a lot of effort when doing lab reports due to the fact that they will raise your mark a lot if they are good.

Good luck with your choice!

Regards.

P.S. Remember the IB is not the end of the world!!

HL Chem and HL Physics are about the same in "difficulty" as far as I've heard from some people, however the mark scheme for physics allows you to get 68% and get a 7 where as chem is only around 86%. So the content might be about the same difficulty but the mark schemes make the HL Chem a bit harder =/

Back to the question, HL Chem takes SL Chem concepts and adds numbers basically, take you from qualitative to quantitative on topics like energetics (besides the basic q=mc deltaT and bond enthalpy), kinetics (orders of reactions, Kc calculations, finding how much of x is created with reactant concentrations of y and z etc). Just a bit more math to remember and more in depth concepts like taking just enthalpy to lattice enthalpy and enthalpy of combustion, formation, atomization, etc. So if you go through chem always wondering about how a concept is working, or the steps in between what you are learning HL Chem would honestly satisfy that if you're willing to do it.

All in all, HL Chem is harder for those who don't like the nitty gritty or excessive uses of math related problems, but if you're OK with that it isn't a ton harder.

Edited by Drake

Chem HL is much harder than Chem SL. The HL-only topics are hard to master.

I used to be a very good Chem student (in IGCSE) but now I find IB Chem really challenging. SL is quite managable but HL... It's hard. The gap is quite huge from SL to HL.

I find Chem hard because it's rather abstract. We cannot really think logically and then get the right answer. There are some things that I do not understand. The spdf thingy..not logical at all. I used to be in HL class. When I was learning that spdf thingy I didn't understand it at all and cannot imagine that structure. With some other considerations, I dropped my Chemistry to SL -_-

It's quite subjective. If you are a Chem master, you'd be able to take HL lar. Otherwise you'll die in vain if you take HL.

In Chem you need to be good at memorising and calculation ok..

For your personal case, I'd suggest you take Chem SL and Econs HL if you are aiming for more total IB points. But don't forget to consider what you want to study in uni -- the prerequisites.