IB in a foreign country

Guest kostaiki

Guest kostaiki

Hey,

Im currently doing IB in England but originally i am from germany so I am doing IB in english though its not my mothertongue. Will it be taken into consideration when it comes to my examinations? Or , in my case,do they expect us to speak english "perfectly"? Does anybody know this?

Are you speaking about IB Diploma programme or MYP? If you're doing the diploma, you can choose German A1 SL as a self-taught language and you'll be assessed as a native German speaker. You'll be able to choose English A2 and English B if you choose German A1.

Actually when you register for exams there is a place where it asks for your "first language" and your "second language' regardless of what A1 you do. Before our exams my IBC gave us all a printout of our registration details. It listed my first language as Vietnamese despite my English A1. HOWEVER, if you do English A1, they will expect your fluency in that language to be that of a native speaker (or close-ish).

Guest kostaiki

yep i have chosen ENGLISH A1 and German SL but not selftaught, we got a teacher. Ok so they will expect me to write fluently , gosh! However, still got more than 1 year to improve my english skills :) Thank you for your answers.

• 2 weeks later...
yep i have chosen ENGLISH A1 and German SL but not selftaught, we got a teacher. Ok so they will expect me to write fluently , gosh! However, still got more than 1 year to improve my english skills :lol: Thank you for your answers.

I strongly recommend you switch to English A2 and choose German A1 SL.