What graphing software do you use?

smurph

What graphing software do you use on labs? Our teacher wants us to use Graph 4.3 but I find it too finicky. I guess I can't really complain because it is free but I just wanted to know what the alternatives are.

There's always Excel, but honestly that's a real pain to use for "scientific" graphs. Taking away the Chart Wizard was a horrible mistake by Microsoft.

We use Logger Pro 3.

We use this too, it's pretty amazing. There is a LoggerPro 4 now though :)

Is it a freeware? Haha my teacher suggested the same software. Can it automatically give us the extreme lines?

Yea, it's free, and I'm not sure what you mean by extreme line but it has an extensive list of possible lines of best fit and also the ability to define a new line (handy for radioactive decay :(). You can change the scales of graphs by simply changing the last number on the axis at the moment. You can manually record data, or you can have it inputed from a Vernier LabQuest. It's very handy for experiments were you can observer something yourself such as electric current or voltage etc and even then if you set it to record 100 samples in 10sec you have 100 trials in 10sec instead of doing it one at a time :P

We use Logger Pro 3.

We use this too, it's pretty amazing. There is a LoggerPro 4 now though :)

Is it a freeware? Haha my teacher suggested the same software. Can it automatically give us the extreme lines?

Yea, it's free, and I'm not sure what you mean by extreme line but it has an extensive list of possible lines of best fit and also the ability to define a new line (handy for radioactive decay :(). You can change the scales of graphs by simply changing the last number on the axis at the moment. You can manually record data, or you can have it inputed from a Vernier LabQuest. It's very handy for experiments were you can observer something yourself such as electric current or voltage etc and even then if you set it to record 100 samples in 10sec you have 100 trials in 10sec instead of doing it one at a time :P

Oh cool. So where can I get them from? I meant maximum and minimum lines. My teacher calls them the extreme lines :) because in excel you would need to edit the data series thing and I find it a bit fuzzy wuzzy. Logger Pro sounds like a perfect graphing software for Physics :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Autograph is definitely a good graphing tool as this review page mentions:

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/Autograph/reviews.htm

Someone above metioned Version 4 which I couldn't find... As far as I'm aware there's a version 3.3 but i might be wrong. In any case I've used it for multiple Internal Assessments, Presentations and other things and I've only gotten positive feedback so far so I do recommend it very highly!

I've been using Geogebra for my linear ecuations portfolio. It's quite simple, but it does a nice job. It's freeware too

Have any of you used Derive 6? they've told me about it, but apart from being a soft which you have to pay for, it's hard to use, although it's extremely good.

Another good one is Wolfram's Mathematica. It's also cool for any other thing you have to do.

• 3 weeks later...