The water baloon- physics ia

Maulik

• 1 month later...

I got one on my head, it has to do with electrostatic ^_^

If you blow the ballon to a pretty big size and then rub it with wool or something of the sort (you hair could also work) you will charge it up. Then, inmediatly you have to pour water on the ballon, and you will see how it won't touch it.

It has to do with the fact that the ballon is charged with electrostatic electricity, and the water molecules are polar, so the are repelled.

If you like my idea, I can give you a few more tips. It's actually an intresting lab to do, and it has a bunch of things to comment. :blink:

buoyancy... well, you could do volume of air in balloon against the force the water exerts upwards on the balloon.

Could you do something with air pressure - diameter of balloon in air vs. submerged in water (measurements could be hard...)

Is water in the balloon an option? If you could get hold of different balloons you could test the strength of the rubber against its thickness (waterbombs would be one cool way of testing this - for each thickness see what height you'd have to drop the water-filled balloon from to make it explode :blink: . Ok, maybe getting a little carried away here...)

• 10 months later...

I got one on my head, it has to do with electrostatic happy.gif

If you blow the ballon to a pretty big size and then rub it with wool or something of the sort (you hair could also work) you will charge it up. Then, inmediatly you have to pour water on the ballon, and you will see how it won't touch it.

It has to do with the fact that the ballon is charged with electrostatic electricity, and the water molecules are polar, so the are repelled.

If you like my idea, I can give you a few more tips. It's actually an intresting lab to do, and it has a bunch of things to comment. :rolleyes:

Sorry for having to bring this old topic to life again, but I need help with this too. Is it possible for more information about this? It would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

JavierG, on Dec 21, 2010 - 19:00, said:

I got one on my head, it has to do with electrostatic happy.gif

If you like my idea, I can give you a few more tips. I...

Could you help me too please!