November 2007 May 2008, Title 10

Guest Zorae42

Guest Zorae42

10. “Context is all” (Margaret Atwood). Does this mean that there is no such thing as truth?

I'm doing question 10 for May 2008 TOK. I want to first define 'truth', and I need help with that... Then, I know what I want to write, I simply can't order it and make it flow.. I personally believe that context changes interpretation of the truth, not the truth itself... And I can give examples in History, Art, Science, and Math (Statistics)... Also, I can talk about how by definition, perception is our interpretation of the world. And that it may be flawed, and therefore what we assume is truth isn't truth, but that doesn't change the fact that the truth does exist... Also, I don't know whether to talk about the fact that "words have multiple meanings, and the context a word is used in define which meaning is meant to be used at that point, but the actual meanings of the word haven't changed" in art or in language. I also want to throw in the paradox of saying that "There is no such thing as truth".

I'm doing question 10 for May 2008 TOK. I want to first define 'truth', and I need help with that... Then, I know what I want to write, I simply can't order it and make it flow.. I personally believe that context changes interpretation of the truth, not the truth itself... And I can give examples in History, Art, Science, and Math (Statistics)... Also, I can talk about how by definition, perception is our interpretation of the world. And that it may be flawed, and therefore what we assume is truth isn't truth, but that doesn't change the fact that the truth does exist... Also, I don't know whether to talk about the fact that "words have multiple meanings, and the context a word is used in define which meaning is meant to be used at that point, but the actual meanings of the word haven't changed" in art or in language. I also want to throw in the paradox of saying that "There is no such thing as truth".

well you could go with a dictionary definition of "truth" like some you can find on here, and just site it :P

I think you're language argument is appropriate for this essay, i.e go for it :D

Hmm I was always adviced to refrain from quoting dictionary definitions - apparently it's unoriginal.

But you've got a nice sounding argument there. Though from what I can see this part

Also, I can talk about how by definition, perception is our interpretation of the world. And that it may be flawed, and therefore what we assume is truth isn't truth, but that doesn't change the fact that the truth does exist...

can get you talking yourself into a muddle and repeat yourself or something, so just be careful of wording.

Well, I get what Zorae is trying to say - the fact that we see things through paradigms and things are considered "true" because that's the paradigm we're looking through, but it might not necessarily be a fact - "truth" - at all, but a misconception on our part. Like the earth is round, right, there was once when people thought the earth was flat and then, people believed that until someone came up with and proved a different view of things. (But please don't use the "Earth is round" example, it's the cliche of cliches).

Guest Zorae42

Well, I use the example of standing on a boat and looking at an iceberg. All you see is the tip of the iceberg, this does not change the fact that there is a huge portion of the iceberg underwater. But, because you cannot perceive the rest of the iceberg, the only inferences you can make are about the tip. This means that there will probably be inconsistencies in your conclusions and until you can (if you ever can) look under the water and see the whole iceberg, you will never know the whole truth.

I finally got my essay to be coherrent, but it thought that most of my essay would be defining truth, then explaining my opinion, and then talking about the iceberg thing... I only have 555 words for all of it... So most of my essay is going to be me pointing out examples of why my opinion works over different areas of truth... *sigh* oh well.

I'm doing question 10 for May 2008 TOK. I want to first define 'truth', and I need help with that...

Zorae I was reading Eragon the other day, and I read something that might help you "define" truth.

Eragon did not agree' date=' but the traders' words were smooth,and people were nodding. He stepped forward and said, " How do you know this? I can say that clouds are green, but that does not mean it's true. Prove you are not lying." The two men glared at him while the villagers waited silently for the answer.[/quote']

I think "prove" was the key word here :D

• 2 weeks later...
well you could go with a dictionary definition of "truth" like some you can find on here, and just site it :lol:

I think you're language argument is appropriate for this essay, i.e go for it :P

Just a warning, using a dictionary definition almost always gets you marked down, we were shown various examples of this in class. Try to come up with your own working definition, I think its a safer bet.

Just a warning, using a dictionary definition almost always gets you marked down, we were shown various examples of this in class. Try to come up with your own working definition, I think its a safer bet.

why does using a dictionary definition get you marked down?

I'm not patronizing you or anything, I'm just curious to know the logic behind it...

Yeah well, unfortunately it's the examiners thoughts that matters.

I agree with it though. Dictionary definitions can be very mudane.

ouch HMS. that stings.

depends on which definition you chose doesn't it? and being interesting (i.e the opposite of mundane) is not the point of your essay. Proving your argument is the point of your essay... and if the dictionary definition does that job, then I'd use it.

yea but if showed proper analysis all through your essay, I don't think you should be panelized because you chose to use a dictionary definition. After all it all carries the same meaning in the end.

Though that is the IB, pedantic ****s

Edit: damn filter didn't work.. I'll check it out ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yeemonkyaw
10. “Context is all” (Margaret Atwood). Does this mean that there is no such thing as truth?

hey

im doing my essay on the same topic too.....i've been reading these posts here...and i was wondering which would be a better approach whether to include dictionary meanings or not??......i've read 2 or 3 essays on the same topic......but the approches are more or less the same as most of the kids tend to go by encyclopedia or dictionary meanings in defining the truth. So is dere any other alternative or any other way of going about it to make the essay somewhat different from traditional approach of extracting the meanings from the dictionary?

Edited by yeemonkyaw

I loved this topic!

Someone once told me that calculus was based on something that wasn't true.

I did the research, and ... well, calculus is based on arbitrary choices, and ignoring certain facts. I used the (extended version of) this as an example.

I also used art as an example.

I also looked at ethics.

Just make sure that you're not trying to cover too much ground - there aren't many words available to you, and the depth of your explorations is more important than simply listing numerous examples.

You can define truth in a few ways:

"Facts are true"

Use a dictionary

Find a quote

Hopefully you can do two of the three.

Use a dictionary

Find a quote

actually these two won't really help the OPs essay, as HMS has informed me that examiners prefer when you give your own definition of words rather than get other's. I thought it was silly at first, but after I read a few essays on the same topic I noticed that each person was discussing the same aspect in a different context, so I understood why they prefer self defines words, it would reflect your essay anyway so I'm all with :yes:

I've been told this as well.

Well, dictionary definitions are just so set in stone, no innovation, no thought on your part, not original.

Is that enough reason?

I think as you said that using a dictionary definition as you said not only doesn't show your own original thought but it also somehow goes against what ToK also is as it is suppose to make you think critical about knowledge and then the question can come up - how do we know that this dictionary is true? Dictionaries are there to aid you but not to give you set answers of what is what after all. Quoting a dictionary to use it as your own definition or argument can make you penalised but if you use it as aid aka if you don't understand a word or concept and then use several dictionaries to aid you and give you a clear picture of what you then think it is and so that you on your own can give your own definition, it should be fine s