University in India

IB Killer Flamez

• 1 month later...

Hey, Im actually from India

And no doubt IIM and IIT are awesome schools, but honestly i would love to know what are the ratings and opinion of international students on these and other indian universities.

Also as a personal observation I have seen the australian and Canadian education system to be great... so why india.

I'm on no way trying to ridicule or derogate the indian system, but would like to know how in others opinion it differs?

Hey, Im actually from India

And no doubt IIM and IIT are awesome schools, but honestly i would love to know what are the ratings and opinion of international students on these and other indian universities.

Also as a personal observation I have seen the australian and Canadian education system to be great... so why india.

I'm on no way trying to ridicule or derogate the indian system, but would like to know how in others opinion it differs?

I'm originally from India, so I could perhaps answer that. I know that in India, the IITs are clearly the most prestigious university one can get into and virtually everyone is trying to. If they actually are that good, I don't know. As far as international recognition goes, no one outside of India who is not somehow related to a university would know about IIT, that's what I've experience anyway. Its international reputation is not worth mentioning, however I know that many IITians go on to some great schools outside of India for graduate studies.

If I were you and had the money and support to go abroad to study, I would definitely do it.

Well i agree to the above comment.... i have a bit of idea on the syllabus of the IITJEE exam... which is the entrance exam to get into IIT's.. Its really competitive... and extremely rigorous syllabus with really challenging problems. But quite a bit of the syllabus specially chem i think, is not up2 par.. but i guess what they want their students to achieve is the ability to tackle difficult problems and build upon a logical thinking. Anyways with the whole coaching class and extra tuition mind set in India... most of these 'ambitious kids' join some coaching class and start mugging up the text books!!

Well i agree to the above comment.... i have a bit of idea on the syllabus of the IITJEE exam... which is the entrance exam to get into IIT's.. Its really competitive... and extremely rigorous syllabus with really challenging problems. But quite a bit of the syllabus specially chem i think, is not up2 par.. but i guess what they want their students to achieve is the ability to tackle difficult problems and build upon a logical thinking. Anyways with the whole coaching class and extra tuition mind set in India... most of these 'ambitious kids' join some coaching class and start mugging up the text books!!

Exactly! I also hate that, and would therefore much rather go to a university that offers a wide range of people with different interests and backgrounds, not just smart Indian males.

• Like 2

YUP... there are more or less 2 type of people you will find at IIT..... first a group of nerd ( Bunch of Sheldon's .. if your a big bang theory fan), who only study 10 hours a day... actually sit and memorize each line of text at times even without understanding them... and these are quite a lot of the bunch... but there also is another bunch who are genuinely interested in science and do appreciate sports and rockbands etc.... Anyways... the indian system itself is at fault.. the system encourages students to reproduce each answer ... word by word from the text book.... its a bit like madness.... no independent thinking like the 1 which IB encourages!!

• Like 1

I *might* apply to IIT, since it's good and I do have a LOT of family in India, so that's definitely a plus. My parents wouldn't mind paying for it and all, but I'm not entirely sure on that front. The universities are generally good, I've been to school in India so I know how terribly competitive it can get. I have IIT-JEE textbooks lying around somewhere (gifts from family) too.

But I kind of grew up abroad, and mostly hearing about universities here, so I'm still not sure. Plus, I don't know much about the entrance requirements and how IB grades might factor into that, so that's kind of putting me off. If I got in, and everything were lined up, it'd definitely be a good choice though. IITs are good, and pretty much EVERYONE wants to get in. The general mindset is that if you're going to study engineering/physics/math in India, you need to do it in IIT.

Anyways... the indian system itself is at fault.. the system encourages students to reproduce each answer ... word by word from the text book.... its a bit like madness.... no independent thinking like the 1 which IB encourages!!

Isn't that basically what 3 Idiots is about? :blink: And anyways, as an IB student, I'd think we'd have an advantage of a sane mind plus the ability to learn. India seriously lacks encouragement for creative minds, but I think that's changing slowly now. I've gone to school there too, and the remnants of that old system definitely stick around, even as an IB student. I'm more of a rinse, repeat person than someone who sits down and tries to understand the basic concepts behind things.

• 2 months later...

I *might* apply to IIT, since it's good and I do have a LOT of family in India, so that's definitely a plus. My parents wouldn't mind paying for it and all, but I'm not entirely sure on that front. The universities are generally good, I've been to school in India so I know how terribly competitive it can get. I have IIT-JEE textbooks lying around somewhere (gifts from family) too.

But I kind of grew up abroad, and mostly hearing about universities here, so I'm still not sure. Plus, I don't know much about the entrance requirements and how IB grades might factor into that, so that's kind of putting me off. If I got in, and everything were lined up, it'd definitely be a good choice though. IITs are good, and pretty much EVERYONE wants to get in. The general mindset is that if you're going to study engineering/physics/math in India, you need to do it in IIT.

Anyways... the indian system itself is at fault.. the system encourages students to reproduce each answer ... word by word from the text book.... its a bit like madness.... no independent thinking like the 1 which IB encourages!!

Isn't that basically what 3 Idiots is about? :blink: And anyways, as an IB student, I'd think we'd have an advantage of a sane mind plus the ability to learn. India seriously lacks encouragement for creative minds, but I think that's changing slowly now. I've gone to school there too, and the remnants of that old system definitely stick around, even as an IB student. I'm more of a rinse, repeat person than someone who sits down and tries to understand the basic concepts behind things.

Yeah totally 3 idiots style. (Good movie btw.)

IIT and IIM's are tough and the people who go there start studying at age 10 onwards. Look, If you can afford to go abroad then GO.

In India only a FEW unis actually accept IB people. There rumours that DELHI UNIVERSITY will begin accepting IB students from next year. (Im from Delhi)