The LGBT IBers Hub

watersnake

51 members have voted

1. 1. So how do you identify?

Hey all, I was surprised to see that there were no forum topics for LGBT students, so I thought I'd start one :S General discussion for LGBTs in the classroom and their allies. Don't be shy, go ahead and introduce yourself

no intolerance please, if you don't like us, or feel like arguing (or being a general asshole)..then this page isn't for you

• Like 2

Can't claim to be anything colorful but wanted to express my support for everybody out there. However sappy that sounds. I guess the presence of this new forum has something to do with recent events in Rutgers, so I think this is a good time to say: speak out! Stay strong. Ignore the ignorant..

Can't claim to be anything colorful but wanted to express my support for everybody out there. However sappy that sounds. I guess the presence of this new forum has something to do with recent events in Rutgers, so I think this is a good time to say: speak out! Stay strong. Ignore the ignorant..

Thanks for the support, love. It's always refreshing to see a well-informed straight dude who isnt afraid to voice out his support for the community, kudos to you! And I love the profile pic, are you doing Visual Arts or Physics or am I being presumptuous?

Thanks for the support, love. It's always refreshing to see a well-informed straight dude who isnt afraid to voice out his support for the community, kudos to you! And I love the profile pic, are you doing Visual Arts or Physics or am I being presumptuous?

Haha physics yes, though the picture is a bit tongue in cheek I guess. Wish I could take visual arts though... can't paint for crap. What are your subjects?

Also, you seem surprisingly (refreshingly) open about your orientation... how do they treat you in Jordan? I have come across discrimination even in the most 'liberal' Western nations... is everything good where you're at? In your school?

I'm straight, but that's interesting actually.

Like Daedalus said, do you face problems in Jordan? And do you find girls like you that easily? As in..to have relationship with? I don't come across many of people like you in my society..in fact none. So interesting to see someone who has a different orientation.

• Like 1

Haha physics yes, though the picture is a bit tongue in cheek I guess. Wish I could take visual arts though... can't paint for crap. What are your subjects?

Also, you seem surprisingly (refreshingly) open about your orientation... how do they treat you in Jordan? I have come across discrimination even in the most 'liberal' Western nations... is everything good where you're at? In your school?

yeah gay people (especially openly gay) are not tolerated in my society, sure we have our own little "communities" but I stay away as they're very corrupt. I'm not very distinguishable (physically) as a lesbian, and im not out to many so it doesn't affect me much. However those who tend to make their orientation a big part of their identity can quickly land into trouble with their family, to say the very least.

As for discrimination I've personally faced, once my school got a tip off about me (as well as some bizarre rumours that are too weird to even mention) and they took it to heart, they tend to get involved in their students' personal lives (in order to maintain their reputation) and then proceed to pick on them till they drive them nuts. oh what can you do

I'll PM you my subjects, my biggest regret is that i didn't do physics, but i don't like the way its taught. How's it going for you? have you done anything fun like quantum suicide yet?

• 2 weeks later...

So I have to be honest. When I saw this thread I kindaaa spazzed a little bit. It seems like there are so few LGBT in IB. Anywho I'm from the states. Missouri to be exact. MY school is, in a word, ghetto so acceptance isnt that hard to find. In fact, our GSA does whatever it wants without interference from the administrators.

To answer someones previous question about having relationship with girls, 96% of my friends are girls. I've only recently started making straight guy friends. In my defense though, most guys here can't carry an intelligent conversation and our IB class has about 5 guys and 47 girls.

I have learned ever since one of my bestest friends opened up to me when we were 12 about being lesbian, since then I have learned a lot, listening about her crushes, and realized how dumb it is of the people who thing its "wrong" when its just something. We all have different coloured eyes, it is not wrong to have green eyes over brown eyes for example, so I honestly can not understand why people are intolerant about this.

So I have to be honest. When I saw this thread I kindaaa spazzed a little bit. It seems like there are so few LGBT in IB. Anywho I'm from the states. Missouri to be exact. MY school is, in a word, ghetto so acceptance isnt that hard to find. In fact, our GSA does whatever it wants without interference from the administrators.

To answer someones previous question about having relationship with girls, 96% of my friends are girls. I've only recently started making straight guy friends. In my defense though, most guys here can't carry an intelligent conversation and our IB class has about 5 guys and 47 girls.

Coming from a straight person, it actually seems easier to be friend with people "out of the closet" then those afraid to admit it. Can't really say why, just something I've noticed...

In my own experience it has often gone the other way.. that is, male friends of mine who have come out of the closet have tended to drift away from the group and spend more time with girls. I don't know if this is because we annoy or are callous with them in some way (too much talk about girls? or maybe some of us are homophobic?) but I have definitely seen it happen. It's strange; it shouldn't be this way, I think it's sick even that there can be a barrier between genders in high school.

Your case is different though, with 47 girls and 5 guys, your statistical rate of friendship should be 90.4% girls, 9.4% guys anyways lol ;-)

Can I just say I love how you threw in math in there (I calculated the volume of mac and cheese I engulfed in one sitting).

And I think the age at which one comes out may play a role. This is just a theory but I feel as if those who come out earlier have a better tendency to feel comfortable with themselves like say around middle school years. On the other hand, if you come out in high school, then you're going to obviously want to feel like you belong so you tend to drift towards the feminine to, ohhh lets use the word 'discover', yourself. Speaking from experience I just feel like I've been 'recompensatingly gay' enough.

O.o I think my schools IB class may be too big then :P we have around 60 IB students I think and theres only two other non-heterosexuals i know in our program.

My old IB school had roughly 210 students. I didn't know of any other non-heterosexuals, but I think the general atmosphere there was that it was okay for others to be gay, but not for themselves. The parents had pretty much the same mindset, so I'm pretty sure that even if there was someone who was gay, they wouldn't have come out.

O.o I think my schools IB class may be too big then :) we have around 60 IB students I think and theres only two other non-heterosexuals i know in our program.

My old IB school had roughly 210 students. I didn't know of any other non-heterosexuals, but I think the general atmosphere there was that it was okay for others to be gay, but not for themselves. The parents had pretty much the same mindset, so I'm pretty sure that even if there was someone who was gay, they wouldn't have come out.

Wow that's kind of like a paradox isn't it? Like its ok for other people to be gay but you yourself can't come out (not you directly. Do you guys have some kind of support group there?

I'm straight kind of, but in all honesty don't really care about it at all. Almost asexual.

Good luck to everyone though. =)

This thread is kind of cool... I never even know some of these things were possible (and what could other stand for?).. I hope you're not offended if I ask you to say a little bit about this? Just wondering what experience you have gone through coming to this conclusion/uncertainty .. it seems sometimes that society demands sexuality in the same way it demands the stereotypical male/female behaviors.