Mark boundaries in different schools...

Guest iber2468

We use the IB grade boundaries. Because we use real IB papers for every skill based exam. Such as economics, geography and English and Chinese.

For the sciences (except for physics) I guess it should be raised to 90% for a 7 instead of 85%ish.

85% in Geo is a 4? When its 70% for a 7 in real IB? Wow... your school is harsh

These are the grade boundaries that we use for the skill based subjects for a 7

Geography HL - 72%

Economics SL - 82%

English A1 SL - 85%

Mandarin B SL - 90%

Mathematics HL - 78% = 4

Physics HL - 86% = 5

Chemistry HL - 96% = 7

Geography HL - 85% = 4

Economics SL - 96% = 7

English A1 SL - 92% = 6

Mandarin B SL - 93% = 6

WTF???

Mathematics HL - 78% = 4???????????????????????????

Are they bloody crazy???????

Geography HL - 85% = 4

Erm...ok...Geog isn't that tough a subject but holy...

Guest iber2468

We're following the the UBC mark scheme (hey, maybe this is why our EDers got screwed over)

7: 96 - 100

6: 90 - 95

5: 86 - 89

4: 70 something - 85

3: 60s - 70s

I swear our teachers misunderstood the instructions. They're supposed to give a predicted FIRST based on our raw mark, then convert that to percentage.

For example, my friend's raw mark in french is 80, but her teacher might feel like she'll get a 5 on the exam, so he would give her a 5, match it with the scale, and give her an 86 on the report card. EXCEPT... some of our teachers decided to go BACKWARDS.

I. HATE. MY. BLOODY. SCHOOL.

I got an 83 for math hl and had to beg to get a 5 *sob*

I swear our teachers misunderstood the instructions. They're supposed to give a predicted FIRST based on our raw mark, then convert that to percentage.

Yes, indeed they did misunderstand!

Those schemes are quite harsh.

Is there any way of making them understand this mistake?!

Hey Crystal! Same here in my school! They are so harsh!

heard that in Canada, 80+ was an A, so 80+ should be a 7?...

In Canada, normal courses will be evaluated like this

A = 86 percent +

B = appro. 73-86

C+ = no idea

C = no idea

C- = no idea

As compared to IB grading system

A = 5

So....

5 = 86 - 89 percent

6 = 90 - 95 percent

7 = 96 + percent

This is how my school give our grades in Canada and also I used to be in MYP program and their marks scheme is similar to this one except that 7 = 94+ you screwed one assignment...you screwed your mark T.T

Oh so for instance, UBC grant scholarship if you get an average of 5 (A) and at least a 5 or maybe 6 in HL depending on your courses.

Edited by Argiyama

Guest iber2468

^ Woot! Companion in misery. Yep, your scheme is precisely the same as mine. Haha UBC gives $4000 to a 36+, I'm so happy!

Is there any way of making them understand this mistake?!

Someone started a petition against one of the teachers who started doing that. She took it to the IB Coordinator who "supposedly" talked to the teacher. But there wasn't any drastic mark changes. Now our teachers just bump all the marks by a few percentage points if the class average is off, which is a normal practice.

Edited by Crystal

How can an A = 5?

Then what is 7? A++?

That means it's easier for people from other countries that do IB to obtain a scholarship to Canadian Universities?

What about the actual grades your graduates get? Do they correlate with their predicted grades or are they always higher by a large margin?

// I guess the admins split this thread? Yep, thanks! Below was my post original to someone else's conversion, just for those who are confused.

yea I did :crying: it was going offtopic in the previous thread, and I thought it was something interesting enough to deserve post count :(

carry on discussing chicks and dudes :P

Guest iber2468
How can an A = 5?

Then what is 7? A++?

That means it's easier for people from other countries that do IB to obtain a scholarship to Canadian Universities?

What about the actual grades your graduates get? Do they correlate with their predicted grades or are they always higher by a large margin?

To my knowledge this is just in my school. We're an IB Diploma school in Vancouver, BC.

Yes, 7 is an A+. 6 is an A. 5 is an A-. Before this scale A's are 6 and 7, and 78-86 = 5.

It's the first time this scale is implemented by UBC so i guess we're the guinea pigs, waiting to see what happens :crying:

And please note it's only 50% of the teachers who are doing this, the other 50% just carried on as they usually would. I think this mainly affects the students who are getting lower marks. For French (the class where the Monsieur is delightfully handing out 3s and 4s), I got 94, so that was a 6 in the old system, and still a 6 in the new system. But since the class average is so low, he bumped me to a 7.

As for Uni... UBC just wants a 24 minimum, so pretty much everyone here gets in. The competitive departments like commerce want 36+, and I'd say 40% of our grads can get that. The US Ivies look for 40+... that'd be 5-10% of our grads.

I'm just pissed off about the huge differences even our OLD scale had with other countries. So much is left up to the teacher!

Edited by Crystal

Guest iber2468

^ It's the first time this scale is implemented by UBC so i guess we're the guinea pigs, waiting to see what happens

The old scheme generally matched the actual exams... from what I know. Whenever there's a difference the candidate usually got higher on the exam. Maybe your school goes easier on you guys? They overlook exam stress induced low marks? Lol.

If the grades you got in the real IB exam was higher than your predicted, it means that you are marked too hard.

If the grades do correlate, it means your exams are too easy. (I mean if you are getting 90s in an exam and only getting 6 for the final grade, doesn't it mean your exams are easy?)Or do you use past papers?

And also, does your school take into account some subjects are harder than others? I noticed that an 86% in physics HL is only a 5 in your school? In the real IB its a high 7...

Edited by Forester

And also, does your school take into account some subjects are harder than others? I noticed that an 86% in physics HL is only a 5 in your school? In the real IB its a high 7...

In my school, which is obviously use a similar system as Crystal ( We are in Canada, Go BC!!), do NOT care about one subject being harder than the others...They follow the same mark scheme...86 for instance, will grant you a 5 unfortunately T.T

Guest iber2468

As mentioned, our teachers DO scale a little bit. Math HL is scaled drastically, physics is less so but still a lot, chem sl isn't bumped at all! That *should* make up for the big gaps.

How can an A = 5?

Then what is 7? A++?

No, UBC uses the 5=86% to calculate the British Colombia standardized testing and marking grade in a British Colombian secondary school. They will convert a 5=86 for every single International Baccalaureate Applicant. You do not get an A++, there is no such thing as A-, A+. UBC does not look at your letter grades, they look at your interim average. For instance, if you got 6,6,5,5,7,7, you will get (92+92+86+86+97+97)/6 = 92% interim average. UBC then calculates the competition for your year, and the requirements to enter a certain program.

It is not easier or harder, because other countries who do IB will receive the same mark. There is a difference between percentages, do not ever assume that every school marks in the same fashion. A 98% from a school in a certain country may be scaled down to 85% in British Colombia. Likewise, a 78% in a certain school can be scaled up to 98%. IB is the only standardized way of converting percentages, otherwise all percentages will be calculated through a conversion and an investigation of your high school's specific standard of calculation.

There is absolutely no such thing as a "real IB" mark. There is a standard that all high schools in British Colombia must follow, and they are not allowed to not use the British Colombian standardized tests. 86% in a British Colombian standardized test is roughly a 5, because it is easier than what the IB teaches. Likewise, there are different systems that your teacher may use. For example, in our physics class, 71% will be considered a 5, it is scaled to 91% in a British Colombian Standard mark, but is not counted in your interim report. The "Real" IB mark you will be seeing is the mark on your exams, which the cutoffs change for each year AFTER the test is done. These can be found on subject reports that the IB offers. For instance, 72% is a 7 for Physics in 2006 Novemeber. Unless your teachers want you to fail regular high school, they will most likely not put a mark like 72% on your report card. It will probably be somewhere like 96% in BC. Who cares, UBC only looks at your IB total mark before they start picking at your provincials!

It is your teacher's responsibility to scale your mark to a standard that is fair. Our chemistry marks are scaled by a bell curve of 15%, physics is scaled by a bell curve of 25%, our Math SL class is scaled by a bell curve of 10%. These all depend on your own teacher, and they should scale your marks properly to reflect what you are getting.

By the way, UBC commerce currently relies on a supplementary application in addition to your marks. 36+ is not an accurate number, I have been told that the cutoff is at 29, and that competition is usually higher than that. However, a Supplementary Application stands for 50% of your admissions consideration, so watch out if you are applying for Commerce. Out of 2000 people, only 200 gets in.

Edited by Dooga