SL or HL Physics?

omri

Hey, so I have to choose if i want to take higher or standard level physics.

If I take SL then i have to do Geo HL, but if I take Hl i can do Chem SL, which is what i want to do, because i find it very

interesting compared to geography which is very boring. Problem is, I don't know if it's worth taking physics HL, i've heard from many that

it is very difficult and not advised to take. I'm not such an ambitious student, although if I like a subject more i do tend to spend more time on it.

So, what do you think?

Physics HL with Chem Sl

or

Physics SL with Geography HL

I'll be happy to tell you that I decided on taking Physics HL, which I'm happy with and don't regret (so far) and Chemistry SL, which doesn't seem very interesting anymore, and Chemistry seems kind of boring now.. however Geography is more boring i think, but it's much easier. Meh, i guess I can always switch if Chemistry gets too bad.. it's not like there's anything hard to catch up in Geography.

Edited by omri

What other options do you have for your Group II subjects? (Rather than Geography?)

I'm not sure about your performance in school, but if you think you can tackle Physics HL and Chemistry SL, then I would go for it. Just know that Physics and Chemistry may be a difficult combination of subjects, and even on their own. I haven't taken these IB courses myself, but many people think that they're difficult.

Also, many people are very successful in these subjects, so the decision is ultimately up to you. Good luck in IB. ;)

Edited by JoeGuff

Hey! I'm taking physics SL and I guess its not an easy course, but if you enjoy physics you will definately like it! The Physics SL & Geog. HL combination seems more plausible, as Geography is just memorizing facts. HOWEVER, if you find geography boring, don't even take it, and not at HL. So, I would adivce that you go for Physics HL - Chem. SL, as you find the sciences interesting. BUT, the side effect of the latter is that you will have a hard time with physics and even more at HL. I find chemistry SL interesting, btw I regret taking physics SL for chemistry SL.

One tip is that when you choose your subjects bear your interests right now and your interests for the future. Don't let hard subjects limit your choices. GOOD LUCK!

Wow I personally find Phy HL and Chem HL kind of challenging recently but I still can manage to do my best and score well. However I will drop my Chem to SL soon LOL.

Phy HL is worth doing rather than Geo HL (I think. I think!) because Phy HL gives you a broad opportunity of University courses. Engineering courses got Phy HL and probably Math HL as the prerequisites (I hope I spell this correctly). Not only Eng, but some other courses, too. Phy HL doesnt require you to memorise such stuffs. Important formulas are in the data booklet. You just need to understand what the questions are saying. Why not? If you think that you are likely to struggle, hey there are a lot of people here doing Phy HL too. We surely can help each other :(

Chem SL fits well with Phy. You like it right? Then do it.

If you find Geo HL boring (as I do), dont take it! really. I personally think that the most important thing we need to consider when choosing subjects is to choose the subjects that we love and enjoy, not the ones that we hate instead, not the ones that we cannot do well in. So just dont take Geo HL.

Hey are you taking Geo and Chem for the group 6 subject? What about Phy SL, Chem SL and language B HL? Or another good but torturing combination would be Phy HL, Chem SL, Math HL ;)

Going back to your main question, go for Phy HL and Chem SL.

May I know the rest of your subject combination?

• Like 1

When it comes to chemistry, do you either take it SL or not at all? Or is it about whether you take it HL or SL? I've heard people say that chemistry HL is harder than physics HL. I did physics SL and thought it was pretty easy, when I finally understood what it was about. My advice is to take what you enjoy the most, even if people say it's hard. What you enjoy, you'll study!

[May I know the rest of your subject combination? ]

Well, my other subjects are:

English A1 SL, which I dread, but Literature is mandatory.

Swedish B HL, which is alright.

Economics HL

Phsyics HL/SL

Math SL, (although I really like math, I'm not willing to go to HL, I know my capabilities ;))

Geo HL

So you see, I have to take Physics HL in order to to Chemistry.

And also, geography is boring at the moment, but it might get interesting later,

and same physics, it might interesting now, but it might get too complicated later and I might not enjoy it, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!