IB scheduling and electives...

spaceisland

So, I'm wondering about your schools' positions on electives, as in optional courses.

At our school, to graduate, you have to have at least two credits in either tech. (i.e. welding, mechanics, etc.) or arts (i.e. drama, music, etc.)... This applies to IB candidates, and others, and right now I have one drama credit, but no others, so I have to take an elective next year. This poses an issue, as next year I am going to be taking IB Chem, Maths, English, History, French, TOK, and I'm not sure how I am going to be able to fit a course like band in my schedule, but, even if I take all of my IB exams with record marks, I won't graduate without this stupid core course. Ecccch.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

With us, we need a fine arts as well as physical activity.

However, since we fulfill these requirements with CAS, the goverment has agreed to waive those requirements.

this is similar to how it was in FL when i lived ther, but here, we have to take all of those credit to graduate, so we just have to find a way to fit them in

Our school in Florida is new, only 4 years old, this year is the first graduating class. Most of the things going on are just base factors. A regular student is forced to take a physical education class and like 2 years worth of arts. Fortunately for us IB kids we don't have to take neither. Funny thing is that most of the new things happening in the school are shaped by me and my friend who are more advanced than the regular IB kid, and the school is really flexible. Just remember one thing when dealing with these things: you always have more power than any faculty member in the school. I've learned that if I need anything and there is at least one other school in the country that does this, I can ask for it...if they refuse I just bring in my parents, like I did several dozens of times :)

Oh and if you're still having problems with classes send me a PM explaining more detailed and I might be able to help you out because our IB coordinator is one of the top ones in the whole program and I can talk with her if anything.

Guest iber2468

^ Way to go Ezex! Yes... students do indeed have a lot of power in their hands. When in doubt, involve the media =D

My principal ended up scrambling to make appointments with me when before, I couldn't get a hold of him for three months.

Thanks so much for the help guys. =D I'm hoping I don't have to go take things to the principal, but I might have to if I can't figure something else. Aiqbal, that makes sense having the CAS replace the credits... I'm wondering if since I am really involved in the choir, and drama program(s), maybe I will be able to direct a play or something next semester and get a credit.

At my school we are required to have 1.5 credits in phy-Ed and .5 credit in speech but if you go full IB you sign a gym contract and only have to complete 1.0 credits in phy-ed and TOK replaces speech. There is also a 1.0 credit in fine art. Everything else can be completed with the IB courses. The thing is, if you decide you don't want to go full IB and you don't take speech or the third phy-ed semester you can't graduate.

At my school we are required to have 1.5 credits in phy-Ed and .5 credit in speech but if you go full IB you sign a gym contract and only have to complete 1.0 credits in phy-ed and TOK replaces speech. There is also a 1.0 credit in fine art. Everything else can be completed with the IB courses. The thing is, if you decide you don't want to go full IB and you don't take speech or the third phy-ed semester you can't graduate.

All right, dont be so cynical about this (I hope i used that word right?). Yes, it's true that some schools let you waive HS diploma requireements, in our school we dont need to take any of those weird classes, no PE no fine arts. And yes, some kids do deside to leave IB in the middle. But you don't just NOT graduate. Maybe in some places it happens, but as far as i know, there's some ways of gettin around this:

Night classes?

Summer classes?

And if all else fails...fail the grade :bawling: No but seriously there are always ways of graduating.