Concentration Tips

Grumps

So school's almost back... And I'm just starting my EE, Physics booklet, psych reading, and World Lit good copy.

And I can't concentrate! Music doesn't help, breaks don't help- I have an aching headache and my muscles are tense with stress. Should I take an aspirin? A bath? What helps?

A bath may help because it loosens up the muscles, but it may also not depending on how fidgety you are :blink: If I'm stressed relaxing only my body (bathing) doesn't really help because I'm to fidgety to relax my mind. Exercise helps, but I think most of the sports related things are boring so that doesn't help me (apart from climbing mountains, I totally L-O-V-E that for some reason :D ). I like to do relaxation tapes where they tell you too tighten and release your different muscle groups, that way I'm occupying my mind (listening to the tape) meanwhile relaxing my body. The webpage podcast I've been listening to every now and then is gone :hug: so I can't give you the address, but if you're interested try googling (or youtube) passive progressive muscle relaxation.

I think exercises that focus on the neck/shoulders/head areas the best, but those that focus on the rest of the body works well for me too, unless they contain to many pauses for breathing, then I get fidgety again :yes:

Since all people are different, it's hard to give universal advice, but I'll tell you what I would have done in that situation.

Firstly, I would have tried to made a plan. What's the most important? What can wait? What do I have to do with the EE (research, write outline, write the essay)? Then I would make a list of what to do in what order. For instance.

1. Look up those quotes for the EE

2. Make an WL outline

3. Reread and edit EE

4. Read 2 chapters of physics

Then I would do some points on this list and work with them for about an hour. Then I would take a break and go outside for a walk or something. Maybe eat an apple or so as well. Then I would go on with the list.

This way, you have a sense of structure and not just random chaos. You also have definite periods of work and of rest and not just a desperate trying-to-study-but-not-succeeding time.

:blink:

What I find that helps is a mini ritual. Drink a caffeinated drink (Strong tea, yerba mate or coffee) and then power nap for no longer than 25 minutes, set an alarm. Allow yourself 5 minutes to make your way to your desk for example if it's work and then do work and only think about work. The nap will freshen your mind and the caffeine will spark your mind one's you wake up because caffeine doesn't have an effect until 20 minutes or so.

Not only will this make you more alert but also help rid your brains of previous thoughts. Try it, it's not exactly time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...