Which one to choose: English A2 or English B?

I'm starting my IB this year and I'm worried about my English. Right now I have chosen English A2.I know that I will have to read literature, which I love, but I think I will be overcrowded and this course will be too tough for me as English is my second language.

Is there any difference for Universities weather I have finished English A2 or English B course?

Is it worth to study English A2 when I can get better marks in English B?

Perhaps some of you could share your experience from your English B and English A2 lessons?

Thank you for all your answers. :blink:

Definately take ENGLISH A2 AT HIGHER LEVEL! It's better because at the end you get an IB BILINGUAL DIPLOMA, instead of the regular diploma, so ENGLISH A2 would look much more better in your college application rather than ENGLISH B. And ENGLISH A2 is more valuable for colleges and for your future work, as you get the BILINGUAL DIPOMA.

It's true, you might get better marks in ENGLISH B, which is easy as I see, btw I never took ENGLISH B. In my opinion, it is better to go for more challenging courses, just like universities like. Trust me, I live in an english speaking country but english is my second language and ENGLISH A2 is not that hard to get a 5 at least. If my math does not go wrong, 39% equals a 4 in the exam! EASY!

I'm taking ENGLISH A2 and it is a really fascinating course as you explore the literature and cultural issues of english speaking countries, while ENGLISH B is more like language structure and grammar stuff, which is kind of boring for me.

SO in my opinion definately go for ENGLISH A2!GOOD LUCK!

You don't have to take english A2 to get a bilingual diploma. Considering you take all your courses in english and do Lithuanian a1 you automatically get the bilingual diploma. One of the criteria is having your a1 in a different language then your courses. Don't quote incorrectly from the IBO please.

If you have a particular 'gusto' for english and literature i'd recommend A2 but if you want to get the best IB score possible go for B. Universities in the UK don't care as long as you have an english language qualification, this is why I recommend doing the TOEFL and hence acquire the level to be able to study in let's say the UK or Canada and possibly the US and Australia. If I could have done English B I would have even though it's my mother tongue but 3rd language. Ultimately it's your choice but you can always change from A2 to B if you feel like it half way through. Anyway best of luck to you.

Hi

I recommend that u take English B. Half of the people in my class take English B, cos it doesnt matter after u graduated, the university doesnt care whether u have studied A2 or english B. As for the IB diploma you still get a bilingual diploma and you will get higher grades if you take English B since it is much more easier. I know this because I have recently talked to my Ib coordinator.

therefore, I have chose english B and I can focus more on the other subjects which is a very good thing to do if u want to get a higher grade in the other subjects. Overall, if u choose english B then you will perhaps get higher points in the IB diploma and put your effort on all the other subjects. :P

so take English B!

• 2 weeks later...
You don't have to take english A2 to get a bilingual diploma. Considering you take all your courses in english and do Lithuanian a1 you automatically get the bilingual diploma. One of the criteria is having your a1 in a different language then your courses. Don't quote incorrectly from the IBO please.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? If a candicate choose A1 language A and the course is done by language B =>> she got a BILINGUAL IB DIPLOMA???!!!?????

OMG!!!!! then I may consider choosing English B =]]

YESSSS! I JUST CHECKED FROM THE IB WEBSITE:

Bilingual diplomas are awarded for:

_ two languages A1, or

_ a language A1 taken together with a language A2, or

_ a group 3 or 4 subject taken in a language other than the candidate's language A1, or

_ an extended essay in a group 3 or group 4 subject written in a language other than the candidate's language A1.

Oh la la~~~~ :P

Better english A2 if you want to go to english-speaking country for uni. I think SL can. and they would prefer A2 SL than B HL. But if you feel that its too much, just take english B HL. I faced a similar problem. I wanted to take math,phy,chem HL but I realised I need Eng B HL cuz I wanna go abroad. Someone suggested me to take Eng A2 SL so it would be 3 HL 3 SL. But my school is not offering A2..so I end up doing 4 HL, and might drop my chem to SL :)

• 1 year later...

I'm having difficulty choosing between English A2 HL and B HL at the moment. I've already done A2 for a year, (in our school we dont decide the HL subjects until year 2)

and now I have to decide whether i wanna continue with A2 or change to B. I was planning to take English A2 SL, but since I need one more HL subject I have to take it in HL. If I take

English B, I will easily get a 7. My English teacher says B would be too easy for me, but If I take A2 HL I think it'll still cost me alot of time and i think I will probably end

up with a 6. Is it really neccesarry to take English A2? I want to go to England, and I've heard that to most universities, English A2 and B is the same , and they would give you an english test before your entry anyway... Is it worth to study English A2 when I can get better marks in English B? It would also save me alot of time... I mean, if the universities really don't care about whether you take A2 or B, then I wouldn't waste time doing A2 HL. Also, I would be getting a bilingual diploma in the end anyway, since I take all my other subjects in English.

Can any of you share your personal experience?

Thankyou!

Edited by Belle L

I'm having difficulty choosing between English A2 HL and B HL at the moment. I've already done A2 for a year, (in our school we dont decide the HL subjects until year 2)

and now I have to decide whether i wanna continue with A2 or change to B. I was planning to take English A2 SL, but since I need one more HL subject I have to take it in HL. If I take

English B, I will easily get a 7. My English teacher says B would be too easy for me, but If I take A2 HL I think it'll still take me alot of time and i think I will probably end

up with a 6. Is it really neccesarry to take English A2? I want to go to England, and I've heard that to most universities, English A2 and B is the same , and they would give you an english test before your entry anyway... Is it worth to study English A2 when I can get better marks in English B? It could also save me alot of time... I mean, if they universities really dont care about A2 or B, then why bother taking A2 anyway... Also, I would be getting a bilingual diploma in the end anyway, since I take all my other subjects in English.

Thankyou!

Im my experience, I'd go with English B HL - it's very hard to get a 7 in any first language subject! Especially in southern hemisphere, as there are less people so all the exams are like marked by the chief examiner! I think doing English B HL, the extra time you can spend on other subjects.

Yep, that's true, I'm pretty sure I will only be getting a 6 if I take A2 HL. The students from the previous years who did A2 all got 6... But what I'm concerned about is the balance between the score and the necessity of taking the subject, since I want to study in England... I'm just worried if they would think that English B isn't good enough?

Edited by Belle L

English B, I will easily get a 7. My English teacher says B would be too easy for me, but If I take A2 HL I think it'll still take me alot of time and i think I will probably end

up with a 6. Is it really neccesarry to take English A2? I want to go to England, and I've heard that to most universities, English A2 and B is the same , and they would give you an english test before your entry anyway... Is it worth to study English A2 when I can get better marks in English B? It could also save me alot of time... I mean, if they universities really dont care about A2 or B, then why bother taking A2 anyway... Also, I would be getting a bilingual diploma in the end anyway, since I take all my other subjects in English.

Thankyou!

Im my experience, I'd go with English B HL - it's very hard to get a 7 in any first language subject! Especially in southern hemisphere, as there are less people so all the exams are like marked by the chief examiner! I think doing English B HL, the extra time you can spend on other subjects.

that was helpful :) thank you very much!

Yep, that's true, I'm pretty sure I will only be getting a 6 if I take A2 HL. The students from the previous years who did A2 all got 6... But what I'm concerned about is the balance between the score and the necessity of taking the subject, since I want to study in England... I'm just worried if they would think that English B isn't good enough?

Look: I don't think so. In Australia, English A2 and English B HL are regarded as the same thing. Usually universities have a separate english assessment - Pretty sure B is fine. My friend from Korea is studying at my school and she is hoping to go to england or america - She's doing english B SL which she says is enough for the requirements as they have that separate assessment!

Hope this helps :)