help with subjects!

kasumi

okay so i definitely want to do IB and i'm choosing my subjects for year 10, i know it might seem a little early but i'm keeping my IB subjects in mind while i'm choosing them. I asked the teacher which subjects she suggest i do that will give me a bit of a 'head start' which are literature, commerce and 'medical mysteries' (which is a biology based subject) and i've chosen french as my language. my only problem is, despite hearing all the time about how impossible it is to get a perfect score in IB art i still want to do it but i can only choose 4 preferences where they take them into consideration and you only get 3 subjects. I know i definetely have to do french and i defintetly want to do literature but i dont know which other two to choose (keeping in mind i will only actually get one of them) because doing art in year 10 is a prerequisite for doing it in IB. So should i do art and not get a head start on the other subjects like biology and economics or not do art seeing as its so hard to get a perfect score and focus on something else?

sorry about the big chunk of text but please give me some suggestions! the sheets due in next week!

If I understand you correctly, you want to know whether it is wise to take IB art. If you really like it/want to pursue it, of course you should take it. But it isn't easy, so if you are desperate of getting 45, I suggest you take something else. But it also depends on what kind of person you are. Maybe you'll need a practical subject in order to relax and then you'll be calmer and score better. So it's hard to tell. Do you want to study art in the future or do you have another goal? If you want to study for instance medicine, it's not a very good idea to take art, take chemistry and biology instead.

Hope I didn't make you even more confused.

It really requires you to think of what you want to study at uni. And, more importantly, where you want to study. For example, if you want to come to the US to study, it doesn't really matter what you study because no matter what, you need to have a Bachelor's Degree before going on to study medicine or law or anything that requires graduate school. But if you stay in your country, I'm sure the procedure is quite different. However, the standard rule applies: what you want to study in uni, you should pick those subjects because taking those subjects now will give you an advantage for future courses. But don't just pick a subject because you're either recommended for it or it looks the best. If you aren't fully interested in Biology/"Medical Mysteries," don't take it because it will bore you. If you're interested in Art and can see yourself working hard for a high score in it (and it will take hard work just to receive a fairly well score, such as a 5 or 6), then go for it.

Hope this helped. It really isn't such a dramatic decision, but it is crucial. Good luck!

Edited by Courtface

For what it's worth, I don't think it's as impossible to get a 7 in Art as it seems. The Art students at my school generally do quite well...

Keep in mind that there are no examinations for Art, only studio work and a workbook, which may seem like lots of hassle during the school year but will pay off a lot when exam period comes and you have one less subject to worry about.