should i choose BNM or econ, or both?

b121310451

hello, I need to choose my subject now, but i am still thinking about choose BNM or econ?

I've chosen econ SL and BNM HL, but my teacher said it is really hard to study these two subject in the same time.

So he recommend me to choose a group 4 subject(phy, chem, bio)( cuz i didn't choose any group 6 subject), but i am not good at science, so I should do BNM and Econ, or change econ to physic?

PS. i want to study something about business in university

If yur planning on UK for University...dont take BM 'cause UK and Singapore doesn't recognize it. But if either Hong Kong or USA is on yur mind the take BM...its far easier and more stimulating.

From what you said, it sounds as if you haven't chosen a group 4 subject. Regardless if your horrible at science, taking a subject from group 4 is compulsory.

As for eco and bam, I wouldn't think that there is anything different in studying both subjects, althought the different viewpoints on some factors in each subject may vary, making it a little confusing. I was in your situation a year back, when I was choosing my options. I was split between eco and bam. Eco is a lot harder than bam, but if you have had previous study in eco, then you won't find it as difficult. Bam is a broader topic, you cover organizations, finance and accounting, marketing etc. Bam is a good subject to take if you tend on studying a specific part of business (marketing, management, finance, accounting etc.). However, if you are just looking towards a commerce degree, then maybe eco would suite you better. Overall, it's really down to your personal choice.Bear in mind, the points I mentioned are very opinionated, as I prefer bam, as opposed to eco.)

• 1 year later...

I want to study Economics or Management for my Undergraduate, that too in some top university of USA. My current subject are

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

I have been told that B&M is not credited in UK. Is it the same for the US? And I like physics but have been told that IB physics is very difficult. So i'm contemplating about taking Physics as my third HL instead of B&M. Should i switch?

I want to study Economics or Management for my Undergraduate, that too in some top university of USA. My current subject are

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

I have been told that B&M is not credited in UK. Is it the same for the US? And I like physics but have been told that IB physics is very difficult. So i'm contemplating about taking Physics as my third HL instead of B&M. Should i switch?

Okay, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless you're really good at physics, or you think you are, don't do HL Physics. It's a really long subject and at points gets very difficult, even at standard level for some people (not mentioning names).

As for your subject choices, ask your self this; are you confident (say, over 85% sure) that you will want to go into a business related career after you're done in IB? Remember, you've still got over 2 years before you're done and 2 years is a loooong time when it comes to changing your mind (I went from wanting to be a vet to a mechanical engineer to a chemical engineer in about that time...). If you are sure, then great! Go ahead and pick those subjects - whether or not they're accredited is irrelevant as you'll be in an advantageous position compared with those that did one or the other. If on the other hand you think you'll have changed your mind by then, then drop BNM altogether and do a second science or art (physics is a good choice - it is a prerequisite for most courses). Leave yourself with a good array of subjects that will leave you with lots options.

On a side note, I've heard tell that BNM is considered a "weak" subject in many universities. Unless you want to go into business lots, then don't bother with BNM. I would doubt that HL Economics would leave you with much to learn about the general principles anyways.

In the meantime, GL, HF, DD. That's GoodLuck, HaveFun, Don'tDie. :gamer:

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

Next time I suggest you make a new thread since this topic dates back to 2010.

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

It appears you don't have a Group 4 (Experimental Science) subject there; it is compulsory to do one in the IB.

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

It appears you don't have a Group 4 (Experimental Science) subject there; it is compulsory to do one in the IB.

Computer Science isn't a G4 subject? I would have thought that that was it. You know, with the "science" bit. But hey, I don't actually have a clue! Is it a humanity, because if it is then you [Vidit] have 3 of those, which is ridiculous (and impossible). So, is the Comp.Sci a G4 subject?

HL:

Math

B&M

Economics

SL:

English

French

Computer Science.

Computer Science isn't a G4 subject? I would have thought that that was it. You know, with the "science" bit. But hey, I don't actually have a clue! Is it a humanity, because if it is then you [Vidit] have 3 of those, which is ridiculous (and impossible). So, is the Comp.Sci a G4 subject?

Computer Science is a group 5 subject along with Mathematics HL/SL/Studies and Further Maths.

I can't say much for BNM, and by that do you mean Bus. & Man? If so you should take Economics. Or both.

I know that Economics SL OR HL is really easy. HL is harder of course, but compared to many other HLs it is quite easy...and it involves a bit of Maths and diagrams at HL.

I don't do economics but I can tell you that its very logical (I took it for 6 months in 10th grade), and can sometimes be fun:)

A psychology teacher in oxford (who will be marking some of your extended essays! - he's an examiner) said that it is easier to do well taking 2 humanities than 2 sciences - especially if you're not a science person.

So i'd say do Economics and B&M, sounds like a good combo to me :)

Edited by yomanyomo