Guys I have no idea what subjects should I take. Economics? Psycholofy

Costello

Well, my experience of universities is that you can always find some university that accept your subjects. even I, who have a rather weird combination has managed to find several universities that I hope will accept me. I'd say that you should choose what you like. Don't take maths HL, unless you really like it! If you like biology, psychology and economics, why not take them HL? I'm sure that there are universities accpeting maths SL for economics. Also, if you like the subjects you have, you'll do better and get higher grades and that's what univerisites are concerned about!

:)

"1. English A1 HL (I'm not native but I believe English is more valuable than Slovak)

2. German ab SL OR Slovak A1 SL (I have very little experience with German, but I understand that Slovak A1 might be all about literature which I hate and grammar which isn't exactly easy)"

Maybe take Slovak A1 and English A2/B? Always go for a higher score... unless your universities require you to do a English test if you dont study English A1 and you want to save that trouble.

"3. Economics HL/SL

4. Biology HL/SL

5 Math HL/SL

6 Psychology HL/SL"

As for these... I suggest do them all at HL.

I'm not telling you to stay 5/6 HLs. I'm just suggesting that you really try each subject, and see what you like and what you don't. Then decide. And yea, like Tilia said, don't take Maths HL unless you really like it. I dropped my Maths HL, and I still have 4HLs.

Edited by theloserwins

With a view to universities, I'd recommend very highly doing higher econs and math at the very least. I don't think many psychology courses in uni ask specifically for psychology as a subject but rather a humanity you scored well in. Higher math opens doors in economics and finance, in other words lucrative areas.

Few subjects in university really require specific subjects at IB besides professional degrees. Its total and higher level points that you'll really want so I'd really really recommend looking at your school's statistics and seeing the grade distributions of the alumni. No point doing economics higher if your schools economics department is severely lacking even if you are amazingly talented at it. In my school the sciences always did well so I did a heavily science oriented IB and that turned out well. I however should have taken my own advice and done standard econs rather than standard history.

Basically, unless there's a specific career path you want (finance, law, medicine, etc) do the arrangement of subjects that gets you the highest possible points by judging your own skill juxtaposed with your school's historical results.

Btw, economics definitely demands higher maths at top institutions. Its really not that bad if you do a whole stack of past papers.

Well thanks guys. I decided to take both HL Economics and Psychology, because Math HL was really the one thing that made me scared to start IB and now I feel somehow relieved. I think I can get better results more easily this way. I'd like to try for University of Edinburgh (I've heard it has nice ratings and it's free for EUs), what do you think are my chances of getting accepted?

Edited by Costello