IB English Oral - Please help!

niceperson91

hey,

i have to do my english IB oral in just two weeks!!! and the books we have read so far are "The Great Gatsby" "Pride and Prejudice" "Chronicle of Death Foretold".

We are supposed to choose one of these books and do an oral on it......we can choose the topic and then do like 15 minute oral, which shows knowledge, context, presentation, interpretation etc etc.....

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST me any topics on one of these books (i like the Great Gatsby a lot)..........and if you have already done an oral on one of these books where you either analyzed the character, setting etc -- COULD U PLEASE POST IT UP.....it would really help me as this is my first oral!!! and i have to do good on it and it wont be possible without your help....

PLS.......

Thanks in advance......

I've read chronicle ad gatsby.. can't say there's much in common in the two.. well except for the fact that there was a death in both of them <_< you could compare the series (chronology) of events that lead to both deaths and how they were portrayed differently by the different writers and why...

Guest rissygirl13
hey,

i have to do my english IB oral in just two weeks!!! and the books we have read so far are "The Great Gatsby" "Pride and Prejudice" "Chronicle of Death Foretold".

We are supposed to choose one of these books and do an oral on it......we can choose the topic and then do like 15 minute oral, which shows knowledge, context, presentation, interpretation etc etc.....

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST me any topics on one of these books (i like the Great Gatsby a lot)..........and if you have already done an oral on one of these books where you either analyzed the character, setting etc -- COULD U PLEASE POST IT UP.....it would really help me as this is my first oral!!! and i have to do good on it and it wont be possible without your help....

PLS.......

Thanks in advance......

Hi there!

I'm a new user, so i hope this works =)

I read the Great Gatsby sophomore year and really liked it. The plot was complex, yet directly conveyed the torment between social classes. If you chose to analyze this novel I would highlight on psychological literary criticism: meaning an analysis of how the social class a particular character is apart of affects the behavior of that character.

Orals are not the worst things in the world. Granted, they can be intimidating. Most teachers will allow a small 3 x 5 index card to use during your oral. I would suggest writing a outline of what points your going to say and then practice with your index card before hand. Time it too!

Additionally, I've found it helpful to use "filler material" aka ancillary material. Talk about the author's life or the historical context in which the book was written. If i remember correctly wasnt the Great Gatsby a rather conterversial novel when it was written? Research.

Literary criticism coming from accredited analysists also looks impressive in an oral. Quote some high and mighty analyst or analyst's page. Just do some searching on the internet to find a good site. This website might be helpful: http://42explore.com/litcrit.htm

Hope you find what your looking for! Remember to talk slow because that adds time <_<

The Great Gatsby has several themes that you can pick and discuss. For examples; violence, the American Dream (or more specific, the fall of the american dream), class conflict, betrayal, lies and decieve. You can find so many examples to back up your arguments for these themes. There are also many motifs and symbols such as the use of colours (see this), the eyes of doctor T. J. Eckleburg, the valley of ashes and much more. You can easily get 15 minutes if you focus on one or two things and then analyse and discuss them thoroughly.

Pride and Prejudice also has several themes but it was almost 2 years since I read that so I can't really recall much on top of my head (except from the nature of Elizabeth Bennet's character and feminism, or idea of first impressions)

Edited by Afterglow

First off, please don't CAPSLOCK. It's annoying.

Secondly, of the three books I've only read P&P but I can't say there is much in common in them is a comparison between 2 books might be a bit hard. However you can do 1 book on its own.

P&P you could talk about the world Austen portrays relative to her background. P&P took place during the years of the Napoleonic wars but despite there are soldiers in P&P she doesn't mention it at all. She focuses on a very specific group in society - the elite upper middle class with no mention of the lower working class and poverty in England at the time. Though I don't know how much this is appropriate since you might need to make a lot of references to her other books and other authors at the time same time who did talk about those other issues she lacked.

Focusing totally on P&P, however, as Afterglow said - there is feminism, first impression, marriage and different women's view of marriage at the time (Charlotte Lucas, Elizabeth, Mrs Bennet, Caroline Bingley, Lady Catherine - they all had different views of marriage), irony (there's a lot of those in P&P), the evolution of Elizabeth's and Darcy's character (through Elizabeth's eyes), women, women's accomplishments and what made them a good match in marriage (beauty, knowledge, money: e.g. compare the marriage prospects of Jane, Elizabeth, Mary Bennet, Georgianna Darcy), women (did I mention that already? <_< ).

Hey,

Thanks a lot for some great suggestions you guys posted up. I think that I am going to do my oral in the Great Gatsby because it interests me more. Afterglow, i looked at the page you linked and it seems very helpful.

Thus, I have decided to do my oral on the Great Gatsby but there is 1 more problem.

I have to speak for 15 minutes and i figure that it would not be that hard but our teacher also wants our orals to be interesting and exciting <_<

He does not want the student to go up and just talk for 15 minutes with a piece of paper in his/her hand.

So, relating to Gatsby (any more topics that you guys might suggest) - i have to present for 15 minutes by doing something interesting......for example: we can do like a talk show or pretend to interview characters etc.....

What do you guys suggest........do you guys have any specific topic from Gatsby and something creative that I might be able to do along with it.

For instance, since there was a death in Chronicle of Death foretold, this girl is making up like a court room scenario, using which she will present some of her 15 minutes...

So, please - any more specific topics on Gatsby and some activity or dance or anything relating to it in order to make the 15 minutes more creative.

Thanking you in advance.

Can someone please help me to choose a topic for my IB English A1 HL Oral.......I am doing on a book called "The Great Gatsby." So, if anyone has anymore interesting topics from this book....please please tell me and if possible, please tell me where to find relevant resources.

If anyone of you have done an oral on The Great Gatsby before, please put it up, so I can see where to start as it is my first IB Oral!!! I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Is it an informal or a formal oral? We got to prepare before-hand for the informal oral, but the formal one is impromptu.

Of course, it is an informal one because i am posting it on the forum and then asking for suggestions. How could it possibly be a formal one? I mean that is done on the spot, so how can I post it up for couple of days? Anyways... any suggests????

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm not sure if you already did your Great Gatsby oral, but when I was a sophomore my English teacher had us do "practice orals" and my partner and I did Gatsby. We basically focused on the morality found in it, and the ideas of good vs evil, very common ideas, I know. We started by having an intro and quotes of good v evil etc and then to get the class to participate we had the entire class stand up. We would ask a question like -do you believe that it was okay that Mr. Wilson shot Gatsby- (I don't remember exact q's or anything but an idea like that) and then we told the class that if they thought it was okay to move and stand on the left side of the room and if they thought it was not okay to stand on the right side of the room. Then we would call on a few students to get a discussion going...

I'm not sure if this is common where you go to school but at my school this occurs every once in a while. Its a good idea for discussion starters and class participants. hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

Ive studied PandP and Chronicle,

PandP is kinda obvious, just think of the significance of that extract on the rest of the book, what it tells your about the characters, the main themes, Pride, Prejudice, women, marrage, money.... and also Austins amazing writing style, how she pokes fun at steryotypes in collins and mrs bennet.

hope that helps :)

Did anyone read ``A Clockwork Orange´´? I'm considering doing my oral presentation on it, but I don't know what is a good choice of topic

Is it a good idea to talk about the film aswell?

don't mention the movie.... an oral is supposed to be abot the book, and a specific idea.

for example my oral was on the metamophasis by kafka, and some peopl talked about the reference to weather or color, i did my oral on the symbolism present in the novel and how it related back to the theme.

in general try to mention the effect the literary device has on the reader... my teacher always stressed the importance of this.

my english teacher this year syas that IB LOVES when you talk about tone, so i would ty to mention that too.

i just gave my practice oral on poetry... it almost ate me alive.... i was so nervous.

good luck to all.

Edited by IBStuck