ib classes

azulverde:)

Well, in some schools, you don't pick your HLs and SLs until your second year anyway (that's how it works for us in Biology and Chemistry), and some courses will only be offered at HL or at SL at your school (Math at our school was only offered at SL, while English and History were only offered at HL) so you might not actually learn this until it comes time to do internal assessments, because for the actual class it hardly matters. So, it's not a big deal to not know at this point.

• Like 1

:blink: I know other people have said it's normal, but it's certainly abnormal (in my experience and in the UK!). If I were you I would ask what's going on, if only because the only way to score highly in the IB is to stick like glue to the syllabus and if you don't know whether you're doing HL or SL, you can't do that. Even if you're going to get the option to choose between HL/SL at some point in the future and they're just starting everybody out the same, or they only offer a particular level, it's good for you to know what's going on. Otherwise you're somewhat handing over all responsibility for learning the right things to your teachers. Not a bad thing if you have good teachers, but I certainly never had good teachers for every subject and the idea of them being responsible for what I learn freaks me out. Lovely people, but not automatically going to get 100% of my trust in their absolute competence!

I can't count how many lessons we wasted learning random non-IB material and had to keep directing the teacher back to the actual topic D: If we didn't know what we were meant to be doing ourselves, we'd have spent hours learning rubbish, failed to learn what we actually needed to know and screwed up our exams.

• Like 1

My advice is to read the syllabus until you know it, so that you can keep track of what you are doing. For us in phyics, the teacher was so unused to the IB that he often taught the whole class HL stuff, but since I read the syllabus, I could figure out what I didn't need to know.

It's not that much of a problem yet, but make sure you know which classes you have HL, because your grades in those matter more than the SL ones. May I also ask how come it's this way, didn't you choose your HL and SL courses? How can you then not know what they are?

• Like 1

Haha, yes I do, for 6 years now. It's nice to have an outlet, and playing in a band is good for CAS hours :P Good luck to you, everything is going to be OK.

yes thats true i have only been playing the flute for about 5 years and the violin for about 3 years. And thats good for the CAS hours, i didnt know that i thought you had to learn a new instrument a new sport and then do community service hours. which for me would not be a good thing :blink: i would like to stick to the swimming and everything i do and for the service theres the hours i get from the hospital XD