IB History HL Topics?

Globe

Herrooo.

I was wondering, as I start IB in a month, which of the following does IB History HL focus on, (Americas option): 1492-1900, or 1900-present?

I'm asking this because I, in preparation, read and took notes on Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States first 14 chapters (Up to, and through WWI) and I'm now.. painfully reading A Rise to Globalism by Stephen Ambrose. I just started it today, and it's interesting so far, but how much is it going to help? I think, at least at my school, we don't cover 20th century history until IB2. In that sense, wouldn't it make sense to wait until next summer (as I'm in the US, we have summers..) to read a book that concerns globalism 1938-present?

And yes I know the 'Americas' option covers South America as well.

Edited by Run

I'm not sure. There are 12 topics under the Americas option, I believe, and the range from the colonization period til present day, so it'll really depend on which topics your teacher chooses to teach.

We had three years of IB history planned out [including a preIB year]. The first year, we covered 1492 til Reconstruction after the Civil War. Then the next year, we picked up from where the last teacher left off and we ended in the 1960s. All the material was with a focus on the US. Then the third year, we took a more worldly perspective about causes and events of WW1 & 2 and the interwar period and the Cold War and we discussed the events that led to the rise of Hitler, Mussolini, Castro, the Russian Revolution and Civil War and Lenin and Stalin.

I wouldn't read up on 20th century stuff right now.

I'd say the the bulk of material took place during the 1900s.

We didn't touch Canadian history and most of Latin American history, so our teachers made sure they covered most/all of the US history topics we'd see.

• Like 1

Check the IB history syllabus :) Also, there is no need to do any reading prior to the course (unless you are doing for your own interest). I had little knowledge of anything on the course - having focused on Finnish history - when I started and have achieved high 7s throughout!

Your P1 options are all concerned with the 20th century - there's peacemaking, peacekeeping 1918-36, the Arab-Israeli conflict and Communism in crisis 1976-89. All of paper 2 topics are also on the 20th century. These are common to all IB students by the way.

Your P3 options are the parts where you focus on the Americas. These include material such as the Independence movements option, including the US declaration of independence etc. Around half of the topics (out of 12) are 20th century.

So, it is likely that you have 20th century history throughout the IB course. I am sure you are aware of it but please be critical when reading Zinn's A People's History of the United States - it may not serve as a great introduction on the topic due to its left-wing bias.

Edited by Cynthia

Check the IB history syllabus :) Also, there is no need to do any reading prior to the course (unless you are doing for your own interest). I had little knowledge of anything on the course - having focused on Finnish history - when I started and have achieved high 7s throughout!

Your P1 options are all concerned with the 20th century - there's peacemaking, peacekeeping 1918-36, the Arab-Israeli conflict and Communism in crisis 1976-89. All of paper 2 topics are also on the 20th century. These are common to all IB students by the way.

Your P3 options are the parts where you focus on the Americas. These include material such as the Independence movements option, including the US declaration of independence etc. Around half of the topics (out of 12) are 20th century.

So, it is likely that you have 20th century history throughout the IB course. I am sure you are aware of it but please be critical when reading Zinn's A People's History of the United States - it may not serve as a great introduction on the topic due to its left-wing bias.

I feel as if I need prior reading -- History is my weak point :/. I'm taking HL to try to counter that. Yes, I know Zinn is not a great introduction. At my old school, (I transferred to a bigger school for IB) a took and aced AP US History, so I have some prior-knowledge of American history, even if I may not be too strong in it.

Thanks for the answers guys though! That clears it up. I couldn't find a syllabus for history HL online. I'm reading Zinn because I agree with most everything he says, although he may not be more 'historical' and a lot of the book is opinionated, I think it will at least give me new viewpoints for my history IAs.

Then the third year, we took a more worldly perspective about causes and events of WW1 & 2 and the interwar period and the Cold War and we discussed the events that led to the rise of Hitler, Mussolini, Castro, the Russian Revolution and Civil War and Lenin and Stalin.

I wouldn't read up on 20th century stuff right now.

I'd say the the bulk of material took place during the 1900s.

Yeah, we had a pre-ib history course at my school as well. It focused on ancient history (Charlemagne, mongols, etc.)

Okay, thanks, I thought IB2 covered 20th century more.