I need help with a CAS idea

Hello,

Been a while since I participated in the forums (thank you, IB) so I may have posted in the wrong place, and if that's the case I'm sorry, move it to the right place, or let it die.

I'm stuck on my CAS hours- I've got 118 'approved' hours, but none completed. My tutor says that a lot don't count because they're mainly for my friends and family so I plan to spend 25 hours working in a charity shop and 25 hours doing something else.

The 25 hours where I want to do something else are annoying me because I know what I want to do, I just can't figure out what I'm going to do. I want it to be something environmental because I'm an avid horticulturalist and my religion involves caring for nature.

I need help on expanding this idea, so could somebody please give me a little nudge in (any) direction?

Thank you!

HB.

An environmentally-based activity sounds like a good way to go. So many students do humanitarian activities that it will look good to have variety.

This isn't necessarily on a large scale, but I've often seen requests in my local newspaper for volunteers in a greenhouse, tending the plants and weeding and such, or for the same sort of job at a retirement home. If nothing else, it might tide you over until you can find something that you really want to do.

Good luck :P As long as you keep searching and keep working at it, you'll find something.

Edited by Sonneteer_Trombonist
  • Like 1

An environmentally-based activity sounds like a good way to go. So many students do humanitarian activities that it will look good to have variety.

This isn't necessarily on a large scale, but I've often seen requests in my local newspaper for volunteers in a greenhouse, tending the plants and weeding and such, or for the same sort of job at a retirement home. If nothing else, it might tide you over until you can find something that you really want to do.

Good luck :P As long as you keep searching and keep working at it, you'll find something.

Thank you :) I've e-mailed my council about spending a day with primary school children to plant an orchard. I'll check my newspaper as well!

If you have any conservation areas nearby, try giving them a call and asking if they need any volunteers. You could also contact your city hall to see if you could volunteer to plant/maintain city gardens. There are a lot of 'green' volunteering opportunities, you'll never know what's out there unless you give it a try.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have some good news: I'm running a triathlon for cerebral palsy!

I've also got a small allotment-type thing in my garden, so I'm going to get some blueberry bushes and bake some muffins for my class!

Unfortunately, the only conservation area is in my local park and the age limit is 10 years old :)

• 4 weeks later...