What are the subjects needed for law? Should I take Maths studies?

A Random Person

I don't understand how the law courses in universities work at all. They say you apply for another course and then you get the degree then you apply for law. Does that mean IB results don't matter since you don't take it in the first year, only uni results count..?

Currently I have maths SL and English SL (A1).

But, I'm thinking to change to Maths studies? But, would it be good enough?

Should I take English HL, or is Eng SL enough?

Edited by A Random Person

Are you in the US? Cause if so, what you study in Undergrad really has no significance if you go onto Law School. When you reach University, they will most likely assign you yet another academic advisor for "Pre-Law" (In the US you get academic advisors for any and everything. For example, I have a Political Science advisor, Economics advisor, and a Pre-Law advisor) and what they will do is advise you to make sure you are taking adequate writing and critical thinking classes. For US law schools (this does include Harvard) the number 1 thing is high GPA (that's why you study what you love) and HIGH LSAT scores. So, going back to your original question, it does not matter if you take Math Studies. That being said, if you decided to go into Tax Law that would require an accounting background which in the US can be achieved via Math Studies but elsewhere in the world IB is treated differently when it comes to placement into programs.

• 4 weeks later...

It's probably safer to take Math SL raher than Math Studies, since some unis won't accept Studies as a prerequisite. Unless you're dead set on Law and your uni program is OK with Studies, then take SL math, to be on the safe side (ex. if you change your mind about your career)