HL:

Chemistry - 6

History - 6/7

Economic - 7

SL:

Maths: 6

English: 5

French Ab Initio - 6

I can score about 35-38 including bonus points and at a maximum of 40.

--------

- But, i wanted to study in Canada but the universities arent that good

- Also, in England, people are saying that i need Higher English, which is hard to pick up after finishing my first year already

- Cant go to US since i havent done SATS

- And i plan on working in Asia or Europe in the future(my dad can get me jobs easily)

Thanks

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Don't use textspeak. =)

Your best bet is to look at the University websites and start out by doing some preliminary research yourself. At this point in time, we'd only be doing that for you in answering your question, so it makes more sense for you to do the legwork and familiarise yourself with courses and Unis in the process. That's the only way to know for sure. In the UK Universities will post up required subjects, sometimes preferred subjects and standard offers on their admissions pages for each course.

Your point total could get you into some UK Universities for Law, although not all of them, certainly. I don't think all require HL English (if it's even a requirement), although they might require higher marks than a 5 in SL English as it's very important to be able to express yourself well in Law -- but this is where you have to do your research and check them out yourself! As you're doing HL History you are effectively proving that you are capable of handling an essay subject, so that should count in your favour and might mean the fact you're not doing HL English isn't too big a problem.

i'm think it will be hard for you to find a law course in the UK without English HL. The future law students in our school tend to have the HL combo of English A1, History and French B HL. Unfortunately English A1 HL tends to be a pre-requisite. Try scotland they might be a bit different. Or do a law conversion course. Start off with a bachelor of science or art and then do a law conversion after 3 years some peeps at my school are doing that.

I don't know what the policy is at LSE, Kings etc. nowadays, but at least last year my classmate got offers to do law at Kings and LSE with English A2 SL, so English A1 HL is not something absolutely required. Of course it might matter that he was a native Finnish speaker, but still he didn't even have A2 HL.

I checked most of the good ones (UCL, Kings, LSE)... they all need english HL and i am not going to apply to an average uni in UK since i could just apply in my home country of canada

Might be a good idea to check them more carefully... for instance, UCL's policy is as so:

38 points overall with a combined score of 18 in 3 higher level subjects

• plus additional requirements if English is not the first language of the candidate:

• English A1 (HL/SL), A2 (HL/SL) and B (HL): grade 5 required

• English B (SL): grade 7 required

So basically for a good chance into a pretty good Uni in UK and UofT in Canada, i should aim for a 38 and put full effort in Eng SL to get a 5?

I don't know about Canada, but in UK, yeah for the better universities you should be achieving 38-40 (and with those it isn't still guaranteed) and at least a 5 in English preferably more (5 is the minimum for you to be fluent enough in their opinion and they will want to see more than that). For UK you should also practice well for the LNAT as that is something they look at quite a lot.

I just finished IB1 and will start my summer from July 8 - Sept 18

I have all of august and half of september free to do my IA's and EE to prepare myself for IB2.

I wish to study law at canada or UK - wat should i do in the summer?

* I am going to study for the LNAT and take it on the October date in 2010.

* Should i also study for the LSAT???

* I currently take French Ab initio and am scoring 6's. I want to study at McGill and UofT, however, how proficient do i have to be at french to study law at Mcgill?

Edited by _Sherry_

I just finished by first year of IB and here are my grades:

HL

Chem - 6

Economics - 7

History - 6/7

SL

Maths - 6

French Ab initio (standard level) - 6

English A1 - 5

I want to do law at graduate level but first ill have to study business or economics at undergraduate level.

My predicted will be around 36-39 points :

Can i apply to Schulich, Ivey Richards or UofT for business with these grades

ALSO - can i study Economics at Mcgill for undergraduate studies and then do Law at UofT for graduate studies afterwards????

Thanks

Are you an Ontario resident?

If you are, they will look at your Ontario high school marks rather than your IB marks (unless you specifically request them to look at IB instead). But yes you should be fine for those undergrad school, my boyfriend got accepted into Schulich iBBA with 39 points.

And you can study anything as your undergrad before applying to law school, there are no prereq courses for U of T law so long as you do well on your LSAT.

No, nothing is for sure, you will be competing for limited spots with other people who also have good grades and LSAT scores. Plus it will also depend on how you do in the interview.

I should add that nothing is ever for sure anywhere when it comes to University admissions. You just have to try and fulfill their minimum prerequisites to the best of your ability, then keep your fingers crossed that what you've done sets you above the other candidates. Some things are more probable than others, but nothing is ever for sure. Nobody on this forum can tell you for sure that you will be able (or conversely, that you won't be able) to do or get into anything. It's just the nature of the game -- if people knew that they could do X and definitely get into somewhere or be able to take a particular course, it probably wouldn't even be called an application, it'd be just a step.

I plan on doing my undergraduates in economics either in :

UBC, UofT, or McGill.

I would love to do law at mcgill but cant due to french proficiency.

I heard McGill is the best in Canada for undergrad and is more internatioanlly known, with a better night life, but UBC has a better economics program.

thanks

Edited by _Sherry_

I will hopefully get in the 36-9 range for my IB diploma with a definite 38 predicted.

Would i be assured an offer into Richards Ivey, Schulich, and McGill for there business programs and for economics in McGill.

I have a 7 in HL Economics and 6 in SL maths.

thanks